Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/21 04:43:06 UTC

License and copyright issues

The following was posted by Roy Fielding:

"Just look at the commons cvs -- there is code present
that was taken from another open source project, the license removed,
and replaced with the committer's own copyright alongside that of the
ASF.  That isn't just contrary to our guidelines; it is immoral!
And, it has been there for four months without anyone so much as
lifting a finger (not to mention deleting the module, which is what
I would have done).  If that isn't cause to terminate an entire project,
I don't know what is."

This is a very serious accusation, and it seems other people
are aware of this issue - yet neither jakarta-commons nor
jakarta PMC have been informed ( at least to my knowledge ).
We may have too much traffic - or maybe people don't know
about pmc@jakarta.apache.org, or maybe those who claim 'we don't
care' are right.

As you should know, it is our duty to review the code that
is checked in and make sure it respect some basic rules.

I think it is essential for us to find the code and
find out how this happened and how it can be prevented in the
future. Nothing is perfect - and it is possible that people
don't understand the rules or just didn't think.

I can't find many excuses for whoever noticed and who knew about that and
failed to  notify the community or the PMC - and I include Roy here. But
that doesn't change the fact that we have a serious and major problem -
I think it is our fault in the first place as commons commiters for letting
such a thing happen.

Since I still can't find out what code he is reffering to - I would like
to ask for your support in identifying it ( and fixing the problem,
of course ), and then to discuss and try to find out solutions to
avoid this in future.

Costin

Re: License and copyright issues

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:

> Costin,
>
> When PLOTNIX was OFFICIALLY contributing this code to Apache, I copied
> the license from some other Apache source file, which had IIRC Lotus
> mentioned as the original contributor.
>
> The original JXPath was not an Open Source project, it had an
> Apache-style license and was distributed freely with the source.  I
> wrote the original version in its entirety.
>
> Just let me know what change needs to be made to the license and
> whether I need to make some changes to the disclaimer on my website.

AFAIK things are fine - I personally don't see any problem with that.
However you should ask the pmc ( pmc@jakarta.apache.org ), just
to be sure.

I've seen similar things in httpd and other projects.

Posted by Dmitri Plotnikov <dp...@yahoo.com>.
Costin,

When PLOTNIX was OFFICIALLY contributing this code to Apache, I copied
the license from some other Apache source file, which had IIRC Lotus
mentioned as the original contributor.

The original JXPath was not an Open Source project, it had an
Apache-style license and was distributed freely with the source.  I
wrote the original version in its entirety.

Just let me know what change needs to be made to the license and
whether I need to make some changes to the disclaimer on my website.

- Dmitri

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/jxpath/src/java/org/apache/commons/jxpath/AbstractFactory.java?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
I found another possibility (checked in around 3 months, 10 days ago,
much closer to Roy's 4 month statement).  Unfortunately, my archive of
the CVS commits doesn't go back all the way, but I did comment on it at
the time it was committed, and I have a copy of the message I sent,
along with the response I got from the person that committed the code.
Since I am not a member, nor on the PMC, I let the issue drop, figuring
that a member or someone from the PMC would take it up with the board or
whomever if it was really necessary.  See attached messages.

regards,
michael

[daemon] unlicensed files

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i've gone through the files in daemon and find there are a number of files
that don't include the apache license text and two which have headers
which are not apache licenses.

what is to be done?

c header files lacking apache licenses
--------------------------------------
src/native/unix/native/executables/vdmoniadm/resource.h
src/native/unix/native/executables/vdmonisvc/resource.h
src/native/unix/native/moni_inst.h

c source files lacking apache licenses
--------------------------------------
src/native/unix/native/signals.c
src/native/unix/native/moni/vdmonisvc.c
src/native/unix/native/service/instmain.c
src/native/unix/native/signals/kill.c

files with non-apache headers

Re: License and copyright issues

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> from http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html
>
> "16.The committers shall elect a committee of three committers to
> provide general oversight, in the style of the Jakarta PMC."
>
> maybe this would be a start...?

+1.   Yes, that means I'm willing, but I could certainly use some
help/training with determining what my what's "ok" and what's not.

regards,
michael

Re: License and copyright issues

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 06:29 AM, Costin Manolache wrote:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
>> I care, but without knowing what the problem is, it's really hard to fix.
>
> I don't know either.
>
> But we need to find a solution and find this code - and to be able
> to handle this better in the future. ( i.e. find some better policy
> or mechanisms, have more information for everyone about who should
> be contacted and when and what to look for - any idea is welcomed )

from http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

"16.The committers shall elect a committee of three committers to provide
general oversight, in the style of the Jakarta PMC."

maybe this would be a start...?

- robert

Re: License and copyright issues

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>Maybe, but that's pretty old.
>
>How about we agree to do this:
>a) Between us, scan all source in the sandbox looking for license
>violations (we can each pick projects to scan)
>b) Collate them back here
>c) Contact the committers responsible and ask for a resolution
>d) If the committers don't come up with a resolution, we remove the code.
>
>Votes?

+1...I'm not an active committer, but I can certainly help. I recommend
somedody creates a task distribution list an assign some volonteer to
each package.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Checked all the jars (skipped the one from apache)

simplestore
has
hdsqldb.jar
jdbm.jar
xmldb.jar
not from apache (afaik) and no license files checked in

jjar has MinML2.jar checked from wilson.co.ukls and no license file

With license file I mean the license file that should be added to the
jar.

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> I care, but without knowing what the problem is, it's really hard to fix.

I don't know either.

But we need to find a solution and find this code - and to be able
to handle this better in the future. ( i.e. find some better policy
or mechanisms, have more information for everyone about who should
be contacted and when and what to look for - any idea is welcomed )

I don't have too many ideas - it is the commons nature to have many
commiters and components of many kinds, and I don't think anyone can
or will be able to verify each and every file all the time.

Maybe we can split this among ourself ? Have rotating groups
of 3-4 people every week ?

I think it is our responsibility ( as jakarta-commons commiters )
to find solutions and decide what to do. Other people think that the PMC
should spend all its time policing projects. If this is the only
way and we can't address the problem, and the PMC ( and ASF ) can't trust
our community for taking care of the codebase and to follow the rules - I
refuse to be part of such thing.

Right now (IMO) the policy in jakarta is to trust each subproject
and let its commiters make all the decisions ( including reviewing the
code ). It seems some people don't think this work - and
jakarta-commons is pointed as example.

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Paul Cantrell wrote:
> Pardon my question -- I'm new to this list, and it may be a bit dense
> -- but why can't we just ask Roy Fielding what he was talking about?

I've seen a couple of messages on the reorg list (including one I sent
myself), most of which explicitly CC'd him, that have asked for more
specific information to back his allegations.  I have yet to see a
response.

> Or is this some sort of rite of passage in which the young apprentices
> must prove themselves unaided?

I hope not.

> It seems to me that open communication is a bare essential for
> preventing problems like this in the future -- not to mention solving
> the one at hand!

agreed.

regards,
michael

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.

news <ne...@main.gmane.org> wrote on 21/10/2002 12:43:06 PM:

> The following was posted by Roy Fielding:
>
> "Just look at the commons cvs -- there is code present
> that was taken from another open source project, the license removed,
> and replaced with the committer's own copyright alongside that of the
> ASF.  That isn't just contrary to our guidelines; it is immoral!
> And, it has been there for four months without anyone so much as
> lifting a finger (not to mention deleting the module, which is what
> I would have done).  If that isn't cause to terminate an entire project,
> I don't know what is."
>
> This is a very serious accusation, and it seems other people
> are aware of this issue - yet neither jakarta-commons nor
> jakarta PMC have been informed ( at least to my knowledge ).
> We may have too much traffic - or maybe people don't know
> about pmc@jakarta.apache.org, or maybe those who claim 'we don't
> care' are right.

I care, but without knowing what the problem is, it's really hard to fix.

> As you should know, it is our duty to review the code that
> is checked in and make sure it respect some basic rules.
>
> I think it is essential for us to find the code and
> find out how this happened and how it can be prevented in the
> future. Nothing is perfect - and it is possible that people
> don't understand the rules or just didn't think.
>
> I can't find many excuses for whoever noticed and who knew about that
and
> failed to  notify the community or the PMC - and I include Roy here. But
> that doesn't change the fact that we have a serious and major problem -
> I think it is our fault in the first place as commons commiters for
letting
> such a thing happen.
>
> Since I still can't find out what code he is reffering to - I would like
> to ask for your support in identifying it ( and fixing the problem,
> of course ), and then to discuss and try to find out solutions to
> avoid this in future.

I'll happily remove it, but don't know what it is....What else should
happen??