Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/02/15 19:53:40 UTC

Re: proposal: web design contest

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:57:33PM -0800, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> > - - the "more standard set of top-level pages" doesn't seem to relate to our
> >   content very well.   Unless you want the web designer to also rewrite
> >   the content text, I don't think that's a good suggestion.   If you *do*
> >   want them to do that, then point that out ;)
>
> I think some restructuring will do most of the job with rewrites so
> things make sense, but if someone does a more complete rewrite and the
> effect is good, of course I'd like it.

I'm not convinced the titles you selected are really appropriate for
an Open Source website. Perhaps that's something you'd like to leave
to the author?

Maybe we can also reserve the right to mix and match parts of
submissions? Like if we like 1 person's layout but another person's
content.

I'm +1 on the idea.

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: proposal: web design contest

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
jm@jmason.org (Justin Mason) writes:

> - - I'd presume you intend it to be a static site; no dynamic
>   (CGI/mod_perl/PHP/whatever) components.   If so, say so; the page
>   doesn't mention it.

Yes, definitely.  We don't need dynamic content.

>   I hope that's the case, btw, as moving to something like postnuke would
>   mean security nightmares, slowness, vulnerability to slashdotting, and
>   no ability to make changes remotely and offline using svn.  I'd be
>   -1 on that.

Agreed.

> - - the "more standard set of top-level pages" doesn't seem to relate to our
>   content very well.   Unless you want the web designer to also rewrite
>   the content text, I don't think that's a good suggestion.   If you *do*
>   want them to do that, then point that out ;)

I think some restructuring will do most of the job with rewrites so
things make sense, but if someone does a more complete rewrite and the
effect is good, of course I'd like it.

> - - I'd prefer to move more stuff into the wiki, myself.

Agreed, I want the main site to be top-level information that doesn't
change often.

> I'm pretty underwhelmed as to whether this is a priority, overall.

It's not critical, but I do think it's needed badly.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/