Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2015/07/17 20:42:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release VCL 2.4.3

I would like discuss releasing VCL 2.4.3.  This will be a minor bugfix
release.  As mentioned in another thread, once 2.4.3 is released we can
proceed to make the transition from Subversion to Git.

All of the Jira issues tagged for 2.4.3 are resolved.  I made some commits
to the backend code earlier this week and I believe things are working
correctly.  The only thing I have left to do is to remove the vcld -setup
option added for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-844 because this
feature is not complete.

I would like to begin to seriously test things next week.  We really need
to work on improving our testing procedures after the 2.4-2.4.3 debacle.
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thank You,
Andy

Re: [DISCUSS] Release VCL 2.4.3

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

+1 for getting 2.4.3 out.

Automated tests are great; however, for the frontend, I don't think we have
the cycles to create and manage them.  Before the 2.3 release, I spent a fair
amount of time creating automated tests of the frontend using the Selenium IDE
plugin for Firefox.  After the updates to the Reservations and resource
portions of the site, none of the tests work anymore because they are pretty
specific to the UI.

So, for the frontend, I'd say we should go with a test plan and test cases
that can be manually performed.

However, if someone in the community wants to step up and manage automated
tests, I'm all for it.

The following page exists in our Confluence space:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Pre-Release+Test+Procedures

I suggest that we greatly add to that page and then create a copy of it for
each proposed release. Then, each item on the release specific copy can be
crossed off and initialed as being completed.

Josh

On Monday, July 20, 2015 10:08:17 AM Aaron Peeler wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> At a minimum there should be a test plan with test cases, for both
> existing functionality and any new features. There are quite a few
> online testing process guides - some of which can be very long.
>
> The manual process which we are doing now is error prone and can be
> full of interrupts from daily work.  Has anyone worked with automated
> testing? Maybe Jenkins or Atlassian bamboo
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > I would like discuss releasing VCL 2.4.3.  This will be a minor bugfix
> > release.  As mentioned in another thread, once 2.4.3 is released we can
> > proceed to make the transition from Subversion to Git.
> >
> > All of the Jira issues tagged for 2.4.3 are resolved.  I made some commits
> > to the backend code earlier this week and I believe things are working
> > correctly.  The only thing I have left to do is to remove the vcld -setup
> > option added for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-844 because
> > this
> > feature is not complete.
> >
> > I would like to begin to seriously test things next week.  We really need
> > to work on improving our testing procedures after the 2.4-2.4.3 debacle.
> > Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thank You,
> > Andy
- --