Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Gareth <ga...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/13 20:03:28 UTC

org.osgi.service.jdbc and Karaf

Hello,

I created some data source factories around some mysql JDBC drivers. When I
run in karaf 2.2.8 I couldn't find a bundle which exported the
org.osgi.service.jdbc package (I assumed that perhaps aries transaction or
jpa might).

What is the right way to get this interface? Should I just be including
osgi.enterprise...or should this be coming from somewhere else?

thanks in advance,
Gareth

Re: features autostart

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good idea Ioannis.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: features autostart

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
In 3.0.x we have a start attribute to features, that is used for feature
descriptors that are dropped under the deploy folder. We can build on top
of that.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*
FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>

**

Re: features autostart

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Baptiste: great; thanks for clarifying a work around; Andrei.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: switch to github

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
JB: OK, fine!

I did the magic " git format-patch origin/trunk" and attached the patch.txt

lets see how fast does it happen? the clock is ticking :-)

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
git-svn works really well....

Re: switch to github

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: switch to github

Re: switch to github

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Please, avoid this kind of remark. The ASF has rules, infrastructure
requirements, processes. It can appear weight and not always easy, but
it's the way it works.

Thanks
Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: switch to github

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
    *Brian:*

    totally agree: real bad-bad-bad "anti-pattern in ASF projects"

    but ASF is merely 3 years behind the times, so - no big deal :-)

    cheers,

    Andrei

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
No we are not for now.

The process has been described, the normal way is to use a patch in
Jira, with grant ASF.

I could change in the future, but for now, it's like this.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: switch to github

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
Andreas:

Re: switch to github

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: switch to github

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: switch to github

Re: switch to github

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
OIC, yes, it's all right there!  Maybe you can point out the parts we were talking about, where the "Grant ASF" button is and all.

That doc assumes someone is a committer.  Thanks for the input though.

Re: switch to github

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
It is really clear.

Re: switch to github

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.

Re: switch to github

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Brian,

it's not linked to a CLA (even if you have a CLA, you may not grant
license to the ASF ;)).

When you are committer on a project, and you commit, in that case, it
references the CLA: it means by committing that you grant license to ASF
(IP clearance). It's implicit.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: switch to github

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
Hi JB,

Re: switch to github

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Brian,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: switch to github

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
JB,

Re: switch to github

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Andrei,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

switch to github

Re: features autostart

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Re: features autostart

Re: features autostart

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Andrei,

hmm, you never know but I think it somehow won't unless you have a
patch real fast at hand :D

regards, Achim

2012/8/15 Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>:
> Achim:
>
> got it; do you think any chance of this making into v 3.0.0, or too late for
> that?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andrei

Committer & Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin
<http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home> Commiter & Project
Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: features autostart

Re: features autostart

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yeah, you are right, we didn't move around that.

As said on the dev mailing list, I gonna create a Jira to track it.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: features autostart

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andrei,

features autostart

Re: org.osgi.service.jdbc and Karaf

Posted by Gareth <ga...@gmail.com>.
Cristian, Achim,

Thank you very much for the ideas! I will think about this some more.

Gareth

Re: org.osgi.service.jdbc and Karaf

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Well
you could create a ManagedService Factory with blueprint.
With that you have the ability to create different instances of the
same Driver with different properties.
To find the right service you probably need to ad a filtering attribute.
A pretty good description of how to use Managed Service Factories can
be found at [1].

Regards, Achim

[1] - http://www.eclipse.org/gemini/blueprint/documentation/reference/1.0.0.RELEASE/html/compendium.html#compendium:cm:managed-service-factories

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
You could create one bundle per datasource.  Inside you would use maven
to embed the mysql driver you need.
Using the config admin service you could externalize the db details like
url, user, password.

It would lack the simplicity of the standalone blueprints but should work.
If you want to go the factory way you could define your own factory
interface for now and then create one bundle per driver. Later you then
can switch to the osgi jdbc spec.
Perhaps you could even define the interface according to the spec so you
would not have to change your clients later.

Christian

Am 14.08.2012 06:01, schrieb Gareth:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I saw that. It sort of doesn't meet my needs because I can't just do
> something like this:
>
>    <bean id="dataSource"
> class="com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource">
>        <property name="url" value="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/world"/>
>        <property name="user" value="test"/>
>        <property name="password" value="test"/>
>    </bean>
>
> as I am required to have multiple versions of
> com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource accessible (I need to install
> multiple mysql drivers to communicate with multiple mysql versions).
> Instead, rather than making the JDBC drivers stand-alone bundles, I am
> wrapping my JDBC drivers in DataSourceFactories which allow me to choose the
> correct data source factory via OSGi service parameters (which also means
> the mapping JDBC URL to JDBC data source is configurable rather than being
> defined by import-package).
>
> Gareth

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: org.osgi.service.jdbc and Karaf

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Have you tried the alternative aproach I describe in:
http://www.liquid-reality.de/display/liquid/2012/01/13/Apache+Karaf+Tutorial+Part+6+-+Database+Access

The idea is to use blueprint to create a datasource and publish it into
the service registry. It works quite well.

Christian

Am 13.08.2012 20:03, schrieb Gareth:
> Hello,
>
> I created some data source factories around some mysql JDBC drivers. When I
> run in karaf 2.2.8 I couldn't find a bundle which exported the
> org.osgi.service.jdbc package (I assumed that perhaps aries transaction or
> jpa might).
>
> What is the right way to get this interface? Should I just be including
> osgi.enterprise...or should this be coming from somewhere else?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Gareth

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: org.osgi.service.jdbc and Karaf

Posted by Gareth <ga...@gmail.com>.
Is it 5.0 only though? It is in the 4.2 javadoc:

http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v42/org/osgi/service/jdbc/DataSourceFactory.html

and there is a JDBC Service Specification chapter in the R4.2 enterprise
specification (the chapter version was not updated for R5 - it is still
1.0).

I had a quick look at the Pax JDBC code. It doesn't appear to export this
interface either. Perhaps it should (via the pax-jdbc module)?

Anyway, I got around the problem (for now) by including the osgi.enterprise
4.2 jar.

thanks again,
Gareth

Re: org.osgi.service.jdbc and Karaf

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Gareth,

to my knowledge the org.osgi.service.jdbc is Osgi 5.0 which isn't
supported yet.
I think there is a pax-jdbc available that might help. Aries does have
JPA and JTA
but I'm not sure about the JDBC thing.

regards, Achim