Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/25 08:19:25 UTC

Dispatch Config Store (was: Re: [Broker-J 7.0.3] Memory configuration store and messages recovery)

Hi Olivier,

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 09:40, VERMEULEN Olivier <Ol...@murex.com>
wrote:

> Ok so I must keep a persistent config store for the Broker.
> But if I'm not mistaken the Dispacth-Router only supports a non-persistent
> config store.
> So are there any plans to implement new config stores for the
> dispatch-router?

Updated the subject in the hopes that someone more familiar with the
current and future capabilities of Dispatch can answer your questions.

-- Rob

Re: Dispatch Config Store (was: Re: [Broker-J 7.0.3] Memory configuration store and messages recovery)

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 4:19 AM, Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 09:40, VERMEULEN Olivier <Ol...@murex.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok so I must keep a persistent config store for the Broker.
>> But if I'm not mistaken the Dispacth-Router only supports a non-persistent
>> config store.
>> So are there any plans to implement new config stores for the
>> dispatch-router?
>>

> Updated the subject in the hopes that someone more familiar with the
> current and future capabilities of Dispatch can answer your questions.
>
> -- Rob

Thanks Rob,

Olivier is correct.  The configuration for Dispatch can be fully
captured in a configuration file.  However, changes made to the
configuration via the management protocol are not persistent.  The
router has no means for generating a configuration file based on its
current configuration.

I would be interested in gathering requirements for persistent
configuration for Qpid Dispatch Router.  This is something that I've
given a bit of thought to.  It should be noted that the Enmasse
project (Messaging as a Service in Kubernetes/OpenShift) addresses
this in a limited way.

I believe a persistent configuration solution for Qpid Dispatch Router
should provide the following:

  - Synchronization of configuration across a set of routers in a network;
  - Multi-tenant isolation (i.e. configuration access/storage
separated by tenant/vhost);

-Ted