Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Marc-Wayne M. Formales" <mf...@msn.com> on 2008/02/09 00:45:20 UTC

JApplet .jar compression?

Hi,

I'm running my applet through some performance testing and noticing that the download times over the network are quite long.  The jar file is already compressed via Java and is around 3MB.  Do you guys know of some techniques I could use to compress the jar even further and/or improve applet download times?  Thanks.

p.s. Production environment is BEA Weblogic 8.1/Java 1.4.2_11.
Regards, Marc

RE: JApplet .jar compression?

Posted by "Marc-Wayne M. Formales" <mf...@msn.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion, guys.  I tried Pack200 a few days back but couldn't get it working.  The applet couldn't find the main class once the pack.gz file was returned from the server.  Maybe I packed it wrong or the logic in my servlet is wrong . . .  but it's definitely something I need to look into when I have a few more cycles available.

In the meantime, I've implemented some caching which saves time on the startup.

<object>
  <param name="cache_option" value="Plugin"/>
  <param name="cache_archive" value="..."/>
  <param name="cache_version" value="1.0.0.1"/>
</object>Regards, Marc

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:22:17 -0800From: phidias51@gmail.comTo: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.orgSubject: Re: JApplet .jar compression?Good point!  It makes the build more complex, but it's definitely a workable solution.Mark
On Feb 11, 2008 11:22 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
Ok, but you're talking about the app server. The applet runs on theclient. You can still deploy a Java 1.5/6 applet via a servlet if youcan make sure the client has a Java 1.5 or 6 plug-in installed. My0.05CHF.
On 11.02.2008 16:27:35 Marc-Wayne M. Formales wrote:> Mark>> Thanks, but unfortunately BEA Weblogic 8.1 does not support Java 1.5 or above.  :(Regards, Marc>>> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:05:09 -0800From: phidias51@gmail.comTo: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org; mformales@hotmail.comSubject: Re: JApplet .jar compression?If you could upgrade to 1.5 or 6 then you'd be able to take advantage of Pack200 compression.Regards,Mark

Re: JApplet .jar compression?

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Good point!  It makes the build more complex, but it's definitely a workable
solution.

Mark

Re: JApplet .jar compression?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Re: JApplet .jar compression?

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
I suppose upgrading to a different app server is out of the question?

Mark

RE: JApplet .jar compression?

Posted by "Marc-Wayne M. Formales" <mf...@msn.com>.
Mark

Thanks, but unfortunately BEA Weblogic 8.1 does not support Java 1.5 or above.  :(Regards, Marc

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:05:09 -0800From: phidias51@gmail.comTo: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org; mformales@hotmail.comSubject: Re: JApplet .jar compression?If you could upgrade to 1.5 or 6 then you'd be able to take advantage of Pack200 compression.Regards,Mark

Re: JApplet .jar compression?

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.