Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kevin Goess <kg...@bepress.com> on 2012/08/24 18:33:09 UTC

turning up logging using the web UI, can't get more than INFO

We have a pretty standard out-of-the-box solr/jetty setup.  Using the web
UI at /solr/admin/logging, for WARNING or SEVERE we get less logging, but
none of CONFIG, FINE or FINEST result in any *more* logging than just at
INFO.

Is there another place to look for something that might be controlling
that?  Maybe a threshold=INFO somewhere?  We've been unable to find
anything.

We're trying to turn up logging because our solr indexing server is hanging
at least once a day and we're trying to find out why.  It becomes
unresponsive and we have to kill -9 it.

Re: turning up logging using the web UI, can't get more than INFO

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: We have a pretty standard out-of-the-box solr/jetty setup.  Using the web
: UI at /solr/admin/logging, for WARNING or SEVERE we get less logging, but
: none of CONFIG, FINE or FINEST result in any *more* logging than just at
: INFO.

The UI (and the underlying Solr API) lets you change the log levels used
to filter what messages are *produced* by the "loggers" - but there is a
seperate setting that controls which messages are *accepted* by each "log
handler" (ie: you might have multiple log handlers: one writing errors to
console, one writting errors and warnings to a "problems.txt" file, and
one writing all log messages to a "full_log.txt" file)

There is no Solr API/UI for changing the levels on the handlers, it can
only be done via the underlying log framework configuration.

My understanding is that folks who like using the run time UI for toggling
the log levels in Solr typically setup their underlying framework config
so that at least one handler is configured to recieve accept at
the "FINEST" level, but the root loger is configured to only produce at
the "INFO" (or "WARNING") level.  Then, when the situation arrises, using
the UI to temporarily switch a logger to the FINE or FINEST levels will be
written out by that handler.

: Is there another place to look for something that might be controlling
: that?  Maybe a threshold=INFO somewhere?  We've been unable to find
: anything.

FYI: there is a "threshold" param on the /admin/logging handler in 4.0,
but (AFAIK) it controls the threshhold of messages recorded by Solr's
internal "Log Watcher" for display in the UI screens (not on the console
or in log files)

: We're trying to turn up logging because our solr indexing server is hanging
: at least once a day and we're trying to find out why.  It becomes
: unresponsive and we have to kill -9 it.

it sounds like logging isn't what you should be looking at -- it sounds
like you should be trying to generate some thread dumps when the server is
not being responsive.

-Hoss

Re: turning up logging using the web UI, can't get more than INFO

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
It is possible. Also, those settings are not saved across restarts.
You really should use a logging properties file.

Other ways to check on freezes:
1) run garbage collection logging or monitoring.
2) poll the statistics requesthandler and log.
3) poll the thread list and log.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: turning up logging using the web UI, can't get more than INFO

Posted by Kevin Goess <kg...@bepress.com>.

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
> We have a pretty standard
> out-of-the-box solr/jetty setup.  Using the web
> UI at /solr/admin/logging, for WARNING or SEVERE we get less
> logging, but
> none of CONFIG, FINE or FINEST result in any *more* logging
> than just at
> INFO.
>
> Is there another place to look for something that might be
> controlling
> that?  Maybe a threshold=INFO somewhere?  We've
> been unable to find
> anything.
>
> We're trying to turn up logging because our solr indexing
> server is hanging
> at least once a day and we're trying to find out why.
> It becomes
> unresponsive and we have to kill -9 it.
Taken from solr-trunk/solr/example/README.txt

"By default, Solr will log to the console. This can be convenient when first getting started, but eventually you will want to log to a file. To enable logging, you can just pass a system property to Jetty on startup:

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=etc/logging.properties -jar start.jar

This will use Java Util Logging to log to a file based on the config in
etc/logging.properties. Logs will be written in the logs directory. It is
also possible to setup log4j or other popular logging frameworks."