Posted to community@apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/10/30 03:10:28 UTC

[Proposal] Compromise was: Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Tradeoffs with the old and new method:

1. doing it privately tends to perpetuate the closed mysterious nature
of it (good ol boys club).  Another way of looking at this would be in
relationship to the Cocoon project.  The less documented aspects of it
are less used outside of the cocoon developer community and the
undocumented nature of much of it prevents its widespead adoption in a
number of locations.  However this has begun to change, the project
information is starting to become shared through the efforts of people
like Steven Noles. Secondly, a number of books have started to be
written on the subject.  This has improved the project substantially
IMHO and recent designs are starting to be better thought out and are
including new ideas not before approached such as XMLForm by this fellow
named Ivelin.

2. doing it publically could result in hurt feelings and divisiveness
and the instances Stefano gave...

Possible Compromise

1. Nominations could take place on the Community list.  Social contract
be to only say nice things on the list and offer feedback to the
members@ list if its negative.  Negative comments made on the community
list are rebuked and noted as unproductive and in bad spirit.  Nothing
nice said is probably a good indication of lack of support or everyone
is busy ;-)

2. Voting and any negative discussion happens on the members@ list

Tradeoffs:
1. Still somewhat closed but still more open.
2. The person proposed is hinted to be on their best behavior so they
can't act like me ;-)
3. The person can just wonder who doesn't love them ;-)

I think 3 is moderated by the idea that I figure probably most folks are
asked if they'd accept the nomination beforehand anyhow so I doubt they
don't know in advance.

Any additional thoughts?

-Andy