Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Tyler Akidau <ta...@apache.org> on 2017/07/24 23:34:49 UTC

Towards a spec for robust streaming SQL, Part 2

Hello Flink, Calcite, and Beam dev lists!

Linked below is the second document I promised way back in April regarding
a collaborative spec for streaming SQL in Beam/Calcite/Flink (& apologies
for the delay; I thought I was nearly done a while back and then temporal
joins expanded to something much larger than expected).

To repeat what it says in the doc, my hope is that it can serve various
purposes over it's lifetime:

   -
   - A discussion ground for ironing out any remaining features necessary
   for supporting robust streaming semantics in Calcite SQL.

   - A rough, high-level source of truth for tracking efforts underway in
   support of this, currently spanning the Calcite, Flink, and Beam projects.

   - A written specification of the changes that were made, for the sake of
   understanding the delta after the fact.

The first and third points are, IMO, the most important. AFAIK, there are a
few features missing still that need to be defined (e.g., triggers
equivalents via EMIT, robust temporal join support). I'm also proposing a
clear distinction of streams and tables, which I think is important, but
which I believe is not the approach most folks have been taking in this
area. Sorting out these open issues and then having a concise record of the
solutions adopted will be important for providing a solid streaming
experience and teaching folks how to use it.

At any rate, I would much appreciate it if anyone with an interest in this
stuff could please take a look and add comments/suggestions/references to
related work in flight/etc as appropriate. For now please use
comments/suggestions, but if you really want to dive in with edit access,
let me know.

The doc: http://s.apache.org/streaming-sql-spec

-Tyler

Re: Towards a spec for robust streaming SQL, Part 2

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thank you all for the comments/input, I appreciate the time you've put into
this. I've responded to a handful of the major ones. There are some more
I'd like to respond to, but I'm out of time for tonight, so more tomorrow.

-Tyler

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.