Posted to ecs-user@jakarta.apache.org by Tom Bednarz <li...@bednarz.ch> on 2001/10/09 15:59:06 UTC

ECS and Stylesheets

Hello,

I am new to ECS. I have started to port some JSP's to servlets using ECS.
Is ECS able to deal with CSS?

How can I implement the following HTML Code using ECS?

<TD class="italic" WIDTH=100> some text </TD>

In the stylesheet the following is defined:

TD  {
         font-size : x-small;
         font-family : Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
         font-weight : normal;
         font-style : normal;
         color : Black;
}

TD.italic  {
         font-size : x-small;
         font-family : Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
         font-weight : normal;
         font-style : italic;
         color : Black;
}

The above <TD> tag would lookup the style TD.italic from the style sheet
and apply it. I have several style sheets for different browsers and
resolutions which are automatically loaded by a JavaScript function. All of
my HTML code is based on CSS which allows me to easily change the look and
feel of web applications.

I could not find a class Element in ECS, but CLASS= is available for most
HTML tags. Could anybody please help me and tell me how this can be done
with ECS? Many thanks!

Thomas

Re: ECS and Stylesheets

Posted by Tom Bednarz <li...@bednarz.ch>.
Hello jon,

At 13:38 09.10.2001 -0700, you wrote:
>on 10/9/01 6:59 AM, "Tom Bednarz" <li...@bednarz.ch> wrote:
>
> > I have started to port some JSP's to servlets using ECS.
>
>Why? That seems like a backwards direction.
>
>Separation of HTML from code is a good idea. JSP isn't a good direction for
>that, but Velocity or other template based systems are.

Well, my jsp's are full of Java code. With JSP I cannot use inheritance.
There is a log of common code in all of my jsp. I could make a cleaner
design with servlets entirely written in Java. But I am thinking about
using servlets for certain common operations and then calling them from the
jsp's. Taglets are another thing I will look into. My application was
written just after JSP 1.0 was released. The new releases offer some more
functionality.

Thanks for your hint anyway.

Thomas

Re: ECS and Stylesheets

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 10/9/01 6:59 AM, "Tom Bednarz" <li...@bednarz.ch> wrote:

> I have started to port some JSP's to servlets using ECS.

Why? That seems like a backwards direction.

Separation of HTML from code is a good idea. JSP isn't a good direction for
that, but Velocity or other template based systems are.

-jon