Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net> on 2005/07/11 10:47:01 UTC

Commit times may be out of commit order?

Hello All,

is there any problem if the commit times are not in the order of
revisions?

Background: to keep file modification times when importing legacy
projects, I want to import a tree with one commit per file and
setting the commit time to the file's mtime. I would prefer if there
is no need to sort the commits.

As far as I see, out of order commit times can also happen when
merging two repositories (svnadmin dump/load), correct?

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen

Re: Commit times may be out of commit order?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Oliver Betz" <li...@gmx.net> writes:
> Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> > > is there any problem if the commit times are not in the order of
> > > revisions?
> >
> > Yes, they can. There is only one drawback: you can't use the -r{DATE}
> > method of specifying commits anymore. That's because svn uses a binary
> > search to locate the revision number to which the given date
>
> I see, thanks for the warning. But I can use -r for dates before or
> past the last unsorted commit time?
>
> For example, importing a legacy project today, I can search for later
> revisions with -r?

Yes; in general, you can still use -r{DATE}, it's just that the
revisions it returns may not be "correct" for various reasonable
definitions of "correct", depending on what dates you specify and how
they relate to the out-of-order commits.  (It's difficult to be more
specific than that without a concrete example, of course, but I think
you get the idea.)

Best,
-Karl

Re: Commit times may be out of commit order?

Posted by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver!

On 7/11/05, Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> is there any problem if the commit times are not in the order of
> revisions?

Yes, they can. There is only one drawback: you can't use the -r{DATE}
method of specifying commits anymore. That's because svn uses a binary
search to locate the revision number to which the given date
corresponds.

bye,

Erik.