Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/04 17:41:50 UTC

DIH and Cassandra

Is it possible to use DIH with Cassandra either out of the box or with
something more custom? Thanks

Re: DIH and Cassandra

Posted by Jon Baer <jo...@gmail.com>.
That is not 100% true.  I would think RDBMS and XML would be the most common importers but the real flexibility is with the TikaEntityProcessor [1] that comes w/ DIH ...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/TikaEntityProcessor

Im pretty sure it would be able to handle any type of serde (in the case of Cassandra I believe it is Thrift) on it's own w/ the dep libraries.

I find the TEP to be underutilized sometimes, I think it's because the docs on the DIH lack more info on what it can do.

[1] - http://tika.apache.org

- Jon

Re: DIH and Cassandra

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> If data is stored in the index, isn't the index of Solr pretty much already
> a 'Big/Cassandra Table', except with tokenized columns to make seaching
> easier?
>
> How are Cassandra/Big/Couch DBs doing text/weighted searching?
>
> Seems a real duplication to use Cassandra AND Solr. OTOH, I don't know how
> many 'Tables'/indexes one can make using Solr, I'm still a newbie.

I don't think Mark wants to "duplicate" Solr's functionality through
Cassandra. He is just asking if he can use DIH to import data from his data
sources into Cassandra.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: DIH and Cassandra

Posted by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net>.
If data is stored in the index, isn't the index of Solr pretty much already a 'Big/Cassandra Table', except with tokenized columns to make seaching easier?

How are Cassandra/Big/Couch DBs doing text/weighted searching?

Seems a real duplication to use Cassandra AND Solr. OTOH, I don't know how many 'Tables'/indexes one can make using Solr, I'm still a newbie.

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
EARTH has a Right To Life,
  otherwise we all die.

Read 'Hot, Flat, and Crowded'
Laugh at http://www.yert.com/film.php

Re: DIH and Cassandra

Posted by Andrei Savu <an...@indekspot.com>.

Re: DIH and Cassandra

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Mark <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use DIH with Cassandra either out of the box or with
> something more custom? Thanks

It will take some modifications but DIH is built to create denormalized
documents so it is possible.

Also see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-853

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: DIH and Cassandra