Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "McPherson, Clyde C" <cl...@hp.com> on 2003/08/11 14:40:37 UTC

Svn add issue

I am using version 0.24.0 of subversion. When I try svn add on a
symbolic linked file, I get the following errors:

svn: Trying to use an unsupported feature
svn: Unsupported node kind for path 'nettop.admin'.

Does svn support symbolic linked files? Will there be support for
symbolic linked files in future versions of svn? Are there any current
work-arounds?

Thanks in advance
Clyde

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au>.
Marcus Alanen wrote:

> I haven't had the time to look at your script, but do you think you
> could use touch(1) to set the modification time, with yet another set
> of properties?

The problem only realy became an issue quite recently but yes I did
think of adding a timestamp property however I actuall plan on taking a
different approach. I plan on writting a very light weight svn client.

Currently I use my asvn script to check out a filesystem on an rsync
server then use rsync from remote systems to grab any changes.  I plan
on getting the remote system to download directly from the svn server.
Since my remote system are embedded with only 16M of Memory and and 16M
of disk space (flash) the normal svn client is not an option. I raised
this question to the dev list a few weeks ago and got some prommising
feedback I'm just waiting now to get the time to work on it.

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Marcus Alanen <ma...@abo.fi>.
Ross Mark wrote:

> care of symlinks, devices plus ownership and permissions. If updates
> only set the modification time on the file to what was in the repository
> I would be very happy.

I haven't had the time to look at your script, but do you think you
could use touch(1) to set the modification time, with yet another set of
properties?

On a related note, I noticed that checking out CVS repositories into
/tmp during the night might be a bad thing; CVS sets the modification
time to the "proper" time, leading to various /tmp-cleaning scripts
happily removing the files... :( So it might be a good idea NOT to set
mtime backwards.

Marcus

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au> writes:

> >>    Well there is but it takes a small wrapper script around svn to
> >> save the symlink as a property of the directory plus add it to the
> >> ignore file. I use subversion for maintaining entire filesystems so
> >> my wrapper takes care of symlinks, devices plus ownership and
> >> permissions. If updates only set the modification time on the file
> >> to what was in the repository I would be very happy.

What an inpired use of properties!  Makes me glad we have them.  :-)

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au>.
Sander Striker wrote:

> [...]
Sure I would be happy to share it around. All I know is that it works on
mine and a few other machines from RH7.2 to 8.0 so there may be some
portability issues. Plus I don't know how it will handle different
filenames ie spaces and extended character sets. It also assumes that
every file and directory is under version control..

I've attached it to this email. I called it asvn for Archive SVN. Seemed
good at the time. It is run as a direct replacement for svn.  The only
mistake I have made is that I didn't choose a very good name space for
the properties that I used but since I already have a number of
repositories that are using it I can't be bothered to change them.

Hope someone gets some use from this.

Ross

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au>.

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
"McPherson, Clyde C" <cl...@hp.com> writes:

> Does svn support symbolic linked files?

No.

> Will there be support for symbolic linked files in future versions
> of svn?

Yes.

Re: Svn add issue

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:40:37AM -0500, McPherson, Clyde C wrote:
> I am using version 0.24.0 of subversion. When I try svn add on a
> symbolic linked file, I get the following errors:
>
> svn: Trying to use an unsupported feature
> svn: Unsupported node kind for path 'nettop.admin'.
>
> Does svn support symbolic linked files? Will there be support for
> symbolic linked files in future versions of svn? Are there any current
> work-arounds?

Does this count as a workaround?

Instead of having:
  /etc/somefile
  /var/svn/wc/etc/somefile -> /etc/somefile

Do this:
  /etc/somefile -> /var/svn/wc/etc/somefile
  /var/svn/wc/etc/somefile

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>