Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jblum <jb...@corp.talkcity.com> on 2000/11/08 00:53:32 UTC

Help! Tomcat 3.2 BETA 6 crashes with only 20 simulated users

I am using Tomcat version 3.2 Beta 6 on a Solaris Ultra Enterprise 2 SUN4U
box running SUNOS 5.7 with 1 gigabyte of ram and 2 processors with plenty of
disk space and 70 megabytes of swap space.

When we run Seque's silkperformer version 4.02 webtesting on a Windows PC
with 20 simultaneous users (simulated browsers) hitting the same URL on the
Tomcat server SUN box, (the test waits for a response and then repeats the
URL) Tomcat no longer responds. Nothing else is running on the SUN box
except for apache version 1.3 which is passing the URL to tomcat via mod_jk.
I am using JSP and 2 custom tags which I wrote myself.

There are 4 or 5 tomcat processes running after Tomcat stops responding to
the URL with an Apache HTTP/1.1" 500 620 response error.

The only change I have made is I have added the following line to the
tomcat.sh file:
TOMCAT_OPTS="-Xmx96m" to set the memory size for JVM to use.

I am running java version "1.2.1"
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.1_04, native threads, sunwjit).

There are no apparent errors in the Apache log files except for the
HTTP/1.1" 500 620 errors.

In looking at the mod_jk log file, I find the following error:

[jk_ajp12_worker.c (121)]: Into jk_endpoint_t::service
[jk_connect.c (108)]: Into jk_open_socket
[jk_connect.c (115)]: jk_open_socket, try to connect socket = 8
[jk_connect.c (124)]: jk_open_socket, after connect ret = -1
[jk_connect.c (143)]: jk_open_socket, connect() failed errno = 146
[jk_ajp12_worker.c (134)]: In jk_endpoint_t::service, sd = -1
[jk_ajp12_worker.c (152)]: In jk_endpoint_t::service, Error sd = -1
[jk_ajp12_worker.c (163)]: Into jk_endpoint_t::done

I can't tell whether this error is happening because tomcat has already quit
responding or whether there is some of out of sockets resource problem.

Any help on this problem would be appreciated, as we obviously can't use
Tomcat until this problem is resolved.

Thanks
Jim Blum
Talk City Inc.
{ë¿~}

RE: Help! Tomcat 3.2 BETA 6 crashes with only 20 simulated users

Posted by jblum <jb...@corp.talkcity.com>.
I have some additional useful info about our problem below.
We ran the same test as below except we eliminated Apache and mod_jk totally
from the equation by using port 8080 in the URL to connect directly with
Tomcat.
And after a few hours Tomcat stopped responding with no errors in the logs.
The Tomcat processes still stayed around.
Any help on this would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Jim Blum