Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "N. Thomas" <nt...@cise.ufl.edu> on 2002/07/10 14:19:39 UTC

pdel svn:ignore being ignored

(This is based on a subversion-r2451 client running Solaris 8 on a Sun Ultra 80)

I updated my subversion source tree, and after building/installing it, ran
this in the top directory:

   $ find . -type d | fgrep -v .svn | xargs svn pdel svn:ignore
     property `svn:ignore' deleted from '.'.
     property `svn:ignore' deleted from './ac-helpers'.
     property `svn:ignore' deleted from './www'.
     [...]
   $ svn st |grep -v ^_M

Unfortunately, the second command showed nothing, even though there were
many directories with .o files, etc. lying around. I would expect something
more like this:

   ?      ./subversion/libsvn_client/status.o
   ?      ./subversion/libsvn_client/switch.o
   ?      ./subversion/libsvn_client/update.o

Is the svn:ignore property somehow being cached? How can I fix this?

thanks,
thomas

--
N. Thomas
nthomas@cise.ufl.edu

Re: pdel svn:ignore being ignored

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Yes, but putting this in the repository is much harder than using
client-side config files.  So I think we should stick with the
client-side config for now.  Having the repository store metadata for
client use is a larger issue, involving not just ignore patterns but
also (for example) log message templates.

Not saying we don't want to do it, but let's grab the low-hanging
fruit first :-).

-K

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Dave Cridland <da...@cridland.net> writes:

> Silly question, but can a repository provide default settings for these
> things? It seems sensible, to me, that the repository administrator
> should be able to at least "hint" to the users that they do, or don't,
> want .o files etc.
>
> These things don't 'feel' like per-user or per-workdir options to me,
> but per-repository most of the time. I see plenty of things saying
> "Please use -xyz CVS options" about, for instance, or "Please send diffs
> in Unified Frog Format".

I think that over the past N months, we've discussed ideas like this
as a post-1.0 feature.  Maybe you can file a "feature request" issue?
I think there are many, many things that would be nice to store in the
repository, and have them transmitted down to the client as 'default'
behaviors.

It's a lot of work, though -- hence the post-1.0 designation.

> As an aside, now building subversion from svn "every now and then" on
> RedHat Linux 7.3 (into an RPM with make check) and using it for my own
> code. It's truly excellent, and a job well done. I can only think on one
> thing it doesn't do - "symlinking" in the repository, which MS-VSS does

That's already planned for post-1.0.

> - but I think I might be able to work around that with Apache rewrite
> rules. Oh, and I can't directly *save* files to my repository when
> mounted as a "Web Folder" on Windows, but that's probably "Quite Right
> Too".

So is this.  See issue #786.  My dream is that someone will do it
*before* 1.0, but it probably won't happen.

The problem is that Windows only implements the DA part of DAV.  It
doesn't know about V.  But there are ways of implementing backward
compatibility... :-)

Re: pdel svn:ignore being ignored

Posted by Dave Cridland <da...@cridland.net>.
On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 16:17, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> > > Maybe this should be less magical and just be in the user config file.
> >
> > Yes.
>
> +1

Assuming that "+1" is the same as "Me Too" but with less flaming, then
I'm in agreement too, much as I love the phrase "Fully Configurable
Source Code". If it can be an option, it might as well be one.

> Get that magic crap *out* of our code, and into a default config file!

Silly question, but can a repository provide default settings for these
things? It seems sensible, to me, that the repository administrator
should be able to at least "hint" to the users that they do, or don't,
want .o files etc.

These things don't 'feel' like per-user or per-workdir options to me,
but per-repository most of the time. I see plenty of things saying
"Please use -xyz CVS options" about, for instance, or "Please send diffs
in Unified Frog Format".

Please feel free to flame me senseless for not finding this in the
archives/user docs/source/whatever - I did have a look, promise. Feel
free also to flame me for coming up with a stupid idea, or just flame me
for being long winded. :-)

As an aside, now building subversion from svn "every now and then" on
RedHat Linux 7.3 (into an RPM with make check) and using it for my own
code. It's truly excellent, and a job well done. I can only think on one
thing it doesn't do - "symlinking" in the repository, which MS-VSS does
- but I think I might be able to work around that with Apache rewrite
rules. Oh, and I can't directly *save* files to my repository when
mounted as a "Web Folder" on Windows, but that's probably "Quite Right
Too". When I get a feel for what might be a bug and what is probably my
own stupidity, I'll start reporting and/or trying to fix them.

Dave.

Re: pdel svn:ignore being ignored

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> "Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > >   static const char * const ignores[] =
> > >   {
> > >     "*.o", "*.lo", "*.la", "#*#", "*.rej", "*~", ".#*",
> > >     /* what else? */
> > >     NULL
> > >   };
> >
> > Maybe this should be less magical and just be in the user config file.
>
> Yes.

+1

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> "Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > >   static const char * const ignores[] =
> > >   {
> > >     /* what else? */
> > >     NULL
> > >   };
> >
> > Maybe this should be less magical and just be in the user config file.
>
> Yes.

Oh, I'm so +1 on that.

Re: pdel svn:ignore being ignored

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.