Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/11 00:14:29 UTC

Timeframe for 2.4 release of maven plugins?

Hi all.  I've been writing a prototype using Maven, and loving it.  I
want to try out the release functionality now, but whenever I do, it
complains that I'm using -SNAPSHOT versions of libraries.

Which I am.  I'm using a 2.4-SNAPSHOT of the
maven-surefire-report-plugin, and well as 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT of the
maven-sure-plugin, because I use TestNG and attempts to use TestNG
with 2.3 fail.

So, I get the idea that releasing using SNAPSHOT versions is bad.
But, I'm having a very hard time determining when the next version
(Non-Snapshot) of my dependancies are going to be released.  If this
were something that a customer was waiting for urgently, it's not
really acceptable for me to tell them they have to wait until a
dependant library is moved out from SNAPSHOT status.

Where can I find out when the next version of a library will be
released?  Do I just have to query the mailing lists of the projects
repsonsible for the release?

Are there any other options for using snapshot versions in releases,
apart from manually modifying the pom file after a release, as
described here (see the "Gotcha" section at the end):

http://jlorenzen.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-create-release-using-maven2.html

Thanks for any help,
Ed

Re: Timeframe for 2.4 release of maven plugins?

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.

> Follow the development list for the project and you'll see activity
> leading up to a release (or not.)  In this particular case I've seen
> lots of traffic lately about Surefire [1], and it seems that they are
> getting close to 2.4.  Since you're using the snapshots, I'm sure your
> feedback would be appreciated!
>
> [1] http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=Surefire

Thanks Wendy.  I looked at the JIRA issues for the 3 plugins I use
that are in snapshot (surefire, surefire-report and javadoc).
According to their roadmap, it looks like they've hit all the issues
they wanted to for the next release.  That supports your guess that
the next release should be soon.  I guess I need to use a "whine and
beg" approach with the plugin lead.

Thanks again,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 10, 2007 4:14 PM, Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I get the idea that releasing using SNAPSHOT versions is bad.
> But, I'm having a very hard time determining when the next version
> (Non-Snapshot) of my dependancies are going to be released.  If this
> were something that a customer was waiting for urgently, it's not
> really acceptable for me to tell them they have to wait until a
> dependant library is moved out from SNAPSHOT status.

The release plugin will not let you release if you depend on
snapshots.  That's because they may change, and your build won't be
reproducible.

If you need unreleased features, you can do an "internal release" to
your own repository, and use that until it's released in the
community.  However, it can be time consuming to chase down and
release all the dependencies that a particular project needs. :(

--
Wendy