Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mason Nakadomari <na...@hawaii.edu> on 2001/03/05 22:12:51 UTC

error 404 in tomcat 4.01b (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:54:23 -1000 (HST)
From: Mason Nakadomari <na...@hawaii.edu>
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: error 404 in tomcat 4.01b

Hi, I was wondering if anyone encountered an error 404 when trying to load
their webpages to webapps.  I put in a folder called tutorial01 with the
appropriate web.xml and index.html to test the server.  I am running
windows98 with ie5.5 yeah i know I should go to window2000 but that is in
progress.

need help with DataSource

Posted by John de la Garza <jd...@designinsites.com>.
 Can some one help me understand what's going on here?
  Or point me to some
 docs?

 I am using tomcat as my servlet container.

 In my server.xml I have this:
 <resource-ref>
   <res-ref-name>jdbc/roiad</res-ref-name>
   <init-param
   <driver-name="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"/>
   <init-param url="jdbc:mysql://172.16.12.1/roiad"/>
   <init-param user="roiad"/>
   <init-param password=""/>
   <init-param max-connections="20"/>
   <init-param enable-transaction="false"/>
 </resource-ref>

 then in my code I try to get to the database like
 this:

  Context  ctx=new InitialContext();
   DataSource
 ds=(DataSource)ctx.lookup("jdbc/roiad");
    Connection  con=ds.getConnection();

 I get this error message:

 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to
 specify class name in
 environmen
 t or system property, or as an applet parameter, or
 in an application
 resource f
 ile:  java.naming.factory.initial

 I am trying to follow an example in book, but it is
 just not working...any ideas?

Re: error 404 in tomcat 4.01b (fwd)

Posted by Cynic <cy...@mail.cz>.
see FAQ in the docs/ directory of the distro

At 22:12 5.3. 2001, Mason Nakadomari wrote the following:

>Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:54:23 -1000 (HST)
>From: Mason Nakadomari <na...@hawaii.edu>
>To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>Subject: error 404 in tomcat 4.01b
>
>Hi, I was wondering if anyone encountered an error 404 when trying to load
>their webpages to webapps.  I put in a folder called tutorial01 with the
>appropriate web.xml and index.html to test the server.  I am running
>windows98 with ie5.5 yeah i know I should go to window2000 but that is in
>progress.

------end of quote------

Cynic:

A member of a group of ancient Greek philosophers who taught
that virtue constitutes happiness and that self control is
the essential part of virtue.

cynic@mail.cz

tomcat as a web server

Posted by John de la Garza <jd...@designinsites.com>.
I am trying using form based security for the main security of my web
app...when I run tomcat through apache the form based security is messed up.

What are my options?  Should I just run tomcat as a standalone web server?

Re: DataSource

Posted by Ben Flaumenhaft <be...@sidelight.com>.
Tomcat doesn't include a connection pooling facility by itself, so you need
a provider for these data sources. App servers (whether free like jBoss or
commercial like Weblogic) generally include sophisticated connection pools.

There's a free one provided by Struts ... check out
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/api/org/apache/struts/util/package-summary.
html#doc.JDBC

... this explains how to set it up and use it. It's fairly straightforward.

Regards,
Ben Flaumenhaft
Principal, Sidelight Consulting
http://www.sidelight.com

Posted by Carlos de la Flor <li...@lpis.com>.
can anybody says me where are statictics for seeing the JSP server's
diferences? (tomcat, resin, jrun, websphere...)
thanks

DataSource

Posted by John de la Garza <jd...@designinsites.com>.