Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Fuad Kamal <fu...@anaara.com> on 2013/10/03 04:06:35 UTC

Re: users Digest 2 Oct 2013 20:54:12 -0000 Issue 286

If we are using a fresh build of OSMF in our flex projects, is it necessary to delete the OSMF swc from the Apache Flex framework (/frameworks/libs/osmf.swf), or will the compiler be smart enough to know to prefer the OSMF swc in the project libs folder over the one in the SDK?  Any particular reason why the latest SDK uses such an old build of OSMF (pre-dating multicast capabilities)?

thanks

Fuad Kamal
Anaara LLC
www.anaara.com
240.515.7578 (m)
214.279.1890 (f)
twitter: @flexRonin
linkedIn: linkedin.com/in/anaara
photography:
http://500px.com/fuad2

Re: users Digest 2 Oct 2013 20:54:12 -0000 Issue 286

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I  don't think  there is any particular reason.   We should be able to
> bump up the  downloaded osmf  version.
>
> Can you please open a JIRA  ticket for this?

One already exits:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33119

The installer would also need to be updated.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: users Digest 2 Oct 2013 20:54:12 -0000 Issue 286

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/2/13 7:46 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 2, 2013, Fuad Kamal wrote:
>
>> If we are using a fresh build of OSMF in our flex projects, is it
>> necessary to delete the OSMF swc from the Apache Flex framework
>> (/frameworks/libs/osmf.swf), or will the compiler be smart enough to
>>know
>> to prefer the OSMF swc in the project libs folder over the one in the
>>SDK?
>>  Any particular reason why the latest SDK uses such an old build of OSMF
>> (pre-dating multicast capabilities)?
>

>I  don't think  there is any particular reason.   We should be able to
> bump up the  downloaded osmf  version.
Fuad, the reason is that it is the version Adobe certified with Adobe Flex
4.6.  Upgrading to the newer one may result in unexpected results.  If you
can help us out by testing the newer version, then that might help us
determine that it is safe to make that the new default.

The compiler should pick up both SWCs and use the time stamps in the
catalog.xml in the SWC and choose the newer one.  There is a chance that
an old version was re-compiled more recently than a new version in order
to slipstream some bug fix or if you built it yourself from sources.  But
usually it works as expected.

-Alex

Re: users Digest 2 Oct 2013 20:54:12 -0000 Issue 286

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013, Fuad Kamal wrote:

> If we are using a fresh build of OSMF in our flex projects, is it
> necessary to delete the OSMF swc from the Apache Flex framework
> (/frameworks/libs/osmf.swf), or will the compiler be smart enough to know
> to prefer the OSMF swc in the project libs folder over the one in the SDK?
>  Any particular reason why the latest SDK uses such an old build of OSMF
> (pre-dating multicast capabilities)?

I  don't think  there is any particular reason.   We should be able to
 bump up the  downloaded osmf  version.

 Can you please open a JIRA  ticket for this?

 Thanks,
Om