Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2006/10/02 19:40:27 UTC

Re: SDO in a Python component?

[snip]
> On 9/22/06, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
>> To allow Python components to handle more than just simple data types,
>> we need to decide how we present structured data / complex types to
>> Python components. We'll probably want to support many more data binding
>> options in the future, but we need one simple solution as a starting
>> point.
>>
>> For Ruby I have implemented support for Rexml for now mainly because
>> it's included in the Ruby distribution. What do you guys think we should
>> use for Python?
>> - an xml.dom or xml.minidom - from the Python standard library
>> - an xml.ElementTree - more pythonic and nicer rendering, recent
>> addition to the Python 2.5 standard library (just released on Sept
>> 19th), available as a separate package on older releases
>> - a new implementation of a Python transcription of the SDO API?
>>
>> Here's what I was thinking about:
>> - step 1, soon - ElementTree
>> - step 2, longer term - an SDO API
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Sebastien

Andrew Borley wrote:
[snip]
> Yep, I was thinking about this too - I think you're right that we need
> something soon (and basing it on an XML technology that's already
> available is the right way to do this) and then an SDO API later
> (probably wrappering the C++ implementation, in a similar way to the
> PHP SDO package).

We're going to need something if we want to include the support for
Python in our M2 release. I was rereading this thread and I'm not sure
that we've clearly identified how we're going to present structured data
to Python scripts (coming from a Web Service for example).

Any more thoughts? Do people prefer:
- ElementTree?
- A flavor of DOM?
- the SDO API wrapped in SWIG?
- a more Pythonic rendering of the SDO API?

Any Python developers out there would like to jump in and tell us their
preference?

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SDO in a Python component?

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/06, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/06, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Andy,
> > >
> > > I'm putting together a new REST sample illustrating how to
> > > Create/Retrieve/Update/Delete resources using a REST binding, and I'm
> > > writing this sample in Python (to help show your Python extension as
> > > well). Do you have any code snippets showing how to use Python
> > > ElementTrees in a component that I could reuse?
> > >

> > Hi Sebastien,
> >
> > I'm just tidying up a sample that demonstrates using ElementTrees
> > returned from a web service - found & fixed a couple of bugs on the
> > way that I need to check in too - will hopefully get this up tonight.
> >

> Gah! My development machine appears to have crashed - I'm unable to
> login remotely. Sorry Sebastien, I'm going to have to check these
> changes in tomorrow..
>
> The Python code for dealing with ElementTrees looks something like:
>
> import xml.etree.ElementTree
> elem = myService.myMethod(arg1, arg2) # gets an Element object
> tree = ElementTree(elem) # convert the Element to an ElementTree object
> data = tree.findtext("//data") # Finds the text in the first <data> tag
>
> See http://docs.python.org/lib/elementtree-elementtree-objects.html
> for more info, or there are a few tutorials around the web

OK, I've put up this sample at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp/sca/samples/PythonWeatherForecast/
It uses the US Weather Forecast service at
http://www.webservicex.net/WeatherForecast.asmx which returns a
complexType, which binding.ws converts to SDO, which the Python
extension then converts to an ElementTree.

I looked at using the Amazon web services, but discovered an Axis2C
bug that would strip off the query part of the endpoint URL, so the
address called was incorrect.

I looked at using the Google web services but they are RPC, which we
don't (yet) support

I looked at using the eBay web services but they required a security
element in the SOAP header. We don't currently support anything like
this - anyone have any good ideas how we might go about this? Some
kind of property perhaps?

I looked at using the Yahoo web services but they don't do SOAP, only REST..

So, lots to do to get our real-world web-service support up to scratch!

Cheers

Andy

Re: SDO in a Python component?

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: SDO in a Python component?

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: SDO in a Python component?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: SDO in a Python component?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Andrew Borley wrote:
> OK, with no dissenting voices, I've put in this fix at r476094. SDOs
> now get converted to Python xml.etree.ElementTree.Element objects when
> used as parameters or properties to Python components (and the
> conversion goes in the opposite direction when a Python component
> returns an Element).
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Nice! What would you think of using a well know Web service like Google
search, a translation service, or another service from Yahoo, Amazon or
eBay for example to demonstrate the handling of complex types in a
Python SCA component?

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SDO in a Python component?