Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by John Summerfield <su...@OS2.ami.com.au> on 2000/08/01 10:44:00 UTC

Re: Err. msg - Win32, Tomcat, Apache (module) = nogo

> Hello!
>
> FATAL:java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind

You program tried to open a port that's already in use. (If you don't know
what a port is, ..;-))

> java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)

Thems Java library routines that are "involved."
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultServerS
> ocketFactory.java:97)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(SimpleTcpEndpoint.
> java:186)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector.java:1
> 42)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(ContextManager.java:253)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:157)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)

Those are all bits of tomcat. The stuff in parentheses tell you which source
file and line number to stare at.

> Hm, the problem is that I don't understand anything of this. And believe me,
> I've spent hours reading docs on this, nothing seems to help me out on this
> one :|

The short story is this:
a)	You've (or someone on your machine has) already started tomcat, and it's
still running
b)	Something else is running on your machine, using the same port.

Maybe jserv? Maybe another web server?

> JAVA_HOME = d:\progra~1\jdk 1.2.2, path is also set.

Nothing to do with your java setup; it's working fine.