Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by wa...@mail.com on 2003/05/03 16:43:03 UTC

Lenya Integration with a Portal/Extranet?

Lenya is a fine CMS and something I would like to see my organization use. We require a CMS to integrate with the extranet (authentication, document/file management, * management...) and have the ability for a member of the organization to edit/create pages only she/he has permission to manage. This is a feature Red Hat CCM offers with the portal and CMS products, though Lenya more matches our CMS requirements.

Is there any experience integrating Lenya with other portal/extranet servers?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Lenya Integration with a Portal/Extranet?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
walterbarrett@mail.com wrote:

>Lenya is a fine CMS and something I would like to see my organization use. We require a CMS to integrate with the extranet (authentication, document/file management, * management...) and have the ability for a member of the organization to edit/create pages only she/he has permission to manage.

yes, I think that's possible. But to really confirm, it would help if
you could describe your existing extranet in more detail
and describe some existing use-cases.

> This is a feature Red Hat CCM offers with the portal and CMS products, though Lenya more matches our CMS requirements.
>
>Is there any experience integrating Lenya with other portal/extranet servers?

In the case of the OSCOM website (http://www.oscom.org) we have an
Apache web-server plus Midgard (PHP)  deployed
as the "front layer". Behind mod_proxy we have Lenya (plus Lucene)
deployed, which is powering the OSCOM
CMS matrix (http://www.oscom.org/matrix/)  and Lucene is powering the
search engine.

 From this little Frankenstein experiment you can see that Lenya is very
flexible with regard to integration with other
systems (even if they are not written in Java).

Lenya can also easily generate data for other systems, such as for
instance a portal solution.

Maybe you want to attend the conference OSCOM 3 at Harvard University
where we will do a tutorial on Lenya, Midgard and Zope by building a
newspaper like publication:

http://www.oscom.org/Conferences/Cambridge/Program/

HTH

Michael

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>Lenya is a fine CMS and something I would like to see my organization use.
>We require a CMS to integrate with the extranet (authentication,
>document/file management, * management...) and have the ability for a member
>of the organization to edit/create pages only she/he has permission to
>manage. This is a feature Red Hat CCM offers with the portal and CMS
>products, though Lenya more matches our CMS requirements.
><<
>
>michi also has experimental code to authenticate against LDAP, which may be
>of interest for you.
>
>the code is not yet ready for production, but LDAP integration is on the
>roadmap..

right, we just need to write a Lenya LDAPAuthenticator, which shouldn't
be very hard.

btw, Cocoon itself has a LDAPTransformer. Maybe we could reuse it for
the LDAPAuthenticator.

Thanks

Michael