Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Murphy, Mark" <mu...@metalexmfg.com> on 2016/07/08 12:00:56 UTC

DrawingML

Much of the Chart code and other things are common parts between Spreadsheets, Documents, and Presentations. At least for the XML side of things. I propose that the DrawingML portions of these three projects be consolidated into a separate package or group of packages to deal with things like charts and themes. If it is done correctly, this code should be able to be shared among all areas of POI (XML format anyway). I haven't checked into the older binary formats, but I suspect that there could be a similar relationship.

RE: DrawingML

Posted by "Murphy, Mark" <mu...@metalexmfg.com>.
My reading of the specs tells me that there are three common "parts" handled by DrawingML. Those are Charts, Diagrams, and Themes. The only real difference between the three project areas (Spreadsheet, document, presentation) vs. DrawingML is the way the part in question is referenced in the package. This could be handled in the createChart, createDiagram, or createTheme methods the specific package.

> Much of the Chart code and other things are common parts between
> Spreadsheets, Documents, and Presentations. At least for the XML side
> of things. I propose that the DrawingML portions of these three
> projects be consolidated into a separate package or group of packages
> to deal with things like charts and themes. If it is done correctly,
> this code should be able to be shared among all areas of POI (XML
> format anyway). I haven't checked into the older binary formats, but I
> suspect that there could be a similar relationship.

For the binary formats, we have the "DDF" package which contains the common drawing records and classes. Sounds like we might be able to create a XDDF package for the common DrawingML drawing xml stuff too!

Nick

Re: DrawingML

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Re: DrawingML

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.
Is DrawingML the OOXML counterpart to the Escher classes (DDF -
Dreadful Drawing Format)?