Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com> on 2008/12/04 12:18:11 UTC

Once again trouble merging (1.5)

Hi,

Following my previous threads about this, once again problems.

I reintegrated a branch into trunk successfully.  I now want to merge
this change into another branch.  To be on the safe side, I followed
Mark’s advice[1]: the branch was made at 336, the log messages said the
last merge from trunk was at 514, so I did (let me mention that I tried
to merge first, but only after the error from below, I tried this from
the start):

> svn merge --record-only -r336:514
svn://coxorange/MonaSearch/trunk/MonaSearch

This changed the project root directory and some other files:
> svn stat
 M     .
 M     makefiles/Linux.mk
 M     makefiles/MinGW.mk
 M     makefiles/Darwin.mk
src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/exceptions/LispFormulaParseException.java

svn diff told that indeed only mergeinfo was changed on those files and
folders.  Then:

> svn commit -m "Populate mergeinfo, once again"
…
Committed revision 545.

So now I can do the merge, but:

> svn merge svn://coxorange/MonaSearch/trunk/MonaSearch
svn: Cannot replace a directory from within

I did delete the branch that was reintegrated, could that be the cause?
And of course some directories were added and deleted in the
reintegration merge.

What to do?

Thanks, H.

[1]
=
http://mid.gmane.org/ff892c5d0811190712j3ec25a8av2798cf4f322b1472@mail.gmail.com
--
Hendrik Maryns

Re: Once again trouble merging (1.5)

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com>.
Hi,

I didn’t see my message coming through, but I’ll answer it anyway:

Hendrik Maryns schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Following my previous threads about this, once again problems.
>
> I reintegrated a branch into trunk successfully.  I now want to merge
> this change into another branch.  To be on the safe side, I followed
> Mark’s advice[1]: the branch was made at 336, the log messages said the
> last merge from trunk was at 514, so I did (let me mention that I tried
> to merge first, but only after the error from below, I tried this from
> the start):
>
>> svn merge --record-only -r336:514
> svn://coxorange/MonaSearch/trunk/MonaSearch
>
> This changed the project root directory and some other files:
>> svn stat
>  M     .
>  M     makefiles/Linux.mk
>  M     makefiles/MinGW.mk
>  M     makefiles/Darwin.mk
> src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/exceptions/LispFormulaParseException.java

As you can see, the svn:mergeinfo property was set on these files as
well.  Now, Mark claims in a recent message[1] that it is probably safe
to remove that mergeinfo, as long as it is kept on the project root.
This I did, finding out that there were some other directories which had
empty svn:mergeinfo properties as well.  Don’t ask me how they got
there, they were there.  Deleting all of them, committing … and merge
worked fine, as expected!  That is, almost, but that will be the topic
of another post, as I don’t think they are related.

Should I report this as a bug?

Cheers, H.

[1]
=