Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stavros Kounis <go...@osmosis.gr> on 2003/05/30 10:21:00 UTC

Link Livesites: www.g-arseniou.gr

www.g-arseniou.gr

on other one site powered by cocoon

-- stavros
email:	info@osmosis.gr

Re: Basic Usage / Hosting Questions

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 03:39 PM, JD Daniels wrote:

> So question one: Am I better off from a server resource standpoint, to
> have
> ONE installation of Cocoon, and point the appBase to a subdirectory of
> it?

A popular way of running several cocoon-based projects as separate
virtual hosts, is to use one instance of Cocoon, serving each project
via a sub-sitemap, using virtualhost and mod_proxy in Apache HTTPD to
point to each one.

See: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheModProxy

The downside of this may be when your Clients all want different
component declarations, like their own datasources, input-modules,
lucene indexes, etc.

Here is an example from one of my Apache httpd configs:

     # If mod_proxy cannot connect to the servlet container, we want
     # to display a nice static page saying the reason. This is a
     # SHTML page (using the Server-Side-Includes filter)

     ErrorDocument 502 /errors/service-unavailable.shtml
     ErrorDocument 500 /errors/server-error.shtml
     ErrorDocument 404 /errors/document-unavailable.shtml

     ProxyPreserveHost On
     ProxyErrorOverride On

     NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerName www.foo.org

     # eg. get Apache to serve directly out of a Cocoon project
     # Serve foo.org's CSS
     Alias /style/ "/Library/TomCat/webapps/cocoon/foo/parts/css/"
     <Directory "/Library/TomCat/webapps/cocoon/foo/parts/css">
       Options Indexes MultiViews
       AllowOverride None
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
     </Directory>

     # don't proxy any request beginning with the following keywords:
     ProxyPass        /errors/ !
     ProxyPass        /style/ !

     # send everything else to the foo sub-sitemap
     ProxyPass        / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/foo/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/foo/

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerName www.bar.org

     # eg. a custom log file for bar.org
     CustomLog "logs/bar_log" common

     # don't proxy any request beginning with the following keywords:
     ProxyPass        /errors/ !

     # eg. serve the Cocoon distribution
     ProxyPass        /cocoon/ http://localhost:8080/cocoon/
     ProxyPassReverse /cocoon/ http://localhost:8080/cocoon/

     # send everything else to the bar sub-sitemap
     ProxyPass        / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/bar/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/bar/

</VirtualHost>

In order for Apache to be able to over-ride Cocoon's error pages, you
need to modify Cocoon's error handling like below, to send out the
appropriate HTTP Response code.

<map:handle-errors>
   <map:select type="exception">
     <map:when test="not-found">
       <map:generate type="notifying"/>
       <map:transform src="stylesheets/system/error2html.xslt">
         <map:parameter name="contextPath"
value="{request:contextPath}"/>
         <map:parameter name="pageTitle" value="Resource not found"/>
       </map:transform>
       <map:serialize status-code="404"/>
     </map:when>
     <map:otherwise>
       <map:generate type="notifying"/>
       <map:transform src="stylesheets/system/error2html.xslt">
         <map:parameter name="contextPath"
value="{request:contextPath}"/>
       </map:transform>
       <map:serialize status-code="500"/>
     </map:otherwise>
   </map:select>
</map:handle-errors>

Hope this helps

regards Jeremy

Basic Usage / Hosting Questions

Posted by JD Daniels <jd...@datatrio.com>.
Hey everyone,

Among Other things, I am an ISP, and have put together two machines to get
all my perl/php crap working under cocoon. I have this outstanding trouble,
but really really want to make a production machine for multuple domain
hosting.

So I have the following questions:

What would be the best way to setup a cocoon server for multiple users?

Right now I have one machine with tomcat 4.18 and virtual host containers
      <Host name="www.domain.com" debug="0" appBase="hosts/domain"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <Alias>domain.com</Alias>
        <Alias>64.114.x.x</Alias>
      </Host>

      <Host name="www.someotherdomain.com" debug="0"
appBase="hosts/someotherdomain" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <Alias>someotherdomain.com</Alias>
        <Alias>64.114.x.x</Alias>
      </Host>

So question one: Am I better off from a server resource standpoint, to have
ONE installation of Cocoon, and point the appBase to a subdirectory of it?
Right now, I have one machine with 4 hosts on it, all running thier own
complete copies of cocoon. To this point, I have only been using some of the
functionality while I figure out the basics enough to be able to handle
support calls. My numero-uno problem is this:

In Cocoon error and access logs :
ERROR   (2003-05-28) 14:09.30:185   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Cocoon got an Exception while trying to close
stream.
java.io.IOException: The stream has been closed

Or:
ERROR   (2003-05-29) 18:09.07:920   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Cocoon got an Exception while trying to close
stream.
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Just seems to happen randomly. Although reliably.
So then after about 8 of those babies I get this in catalina.out
Logging Error: Unknown error writing event.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

And well, then nothing works....
(However, my career started by trial and error perl/php hacking, and I
simply do not understand java memory management / garbage collecting...
yet )

This looks like a Tomcat trouble, But I can't figure it out :(

Help?
Ideas? :)

JD

Re: Link Livesites: www.g-arseniou.gr

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "Stavros Kounis" <go...@osmosis.gr>

> Konstantin
> thnx for your notice
>
> i have look into translation files and everything is ok .. i think
> that some somewhere something is cached.

If you are using the latest version (2.1) then this is definitely a cached
text. Current version of i18n transformer does not check the modification
date of bundles for cache validity.

> they are 2 more web sites where we are using i18n
> (this one is only  i18n ready )
>
> http://www.portovistonis.gr
> http://www.forestland.gr

Great!

> the coolest thing  with cocoon's  i18n implementation  is that visitor can
> change the language without
> loose navigation (i most translated site you have to go back in first
> (entry) page ang choose another lang

Usually, you select the language on the first entry. But sometimes you can
notice other translations already deep in the site and in this case this
behavior is really useful.

-- Konstantin

Posted by Stavros Kounis <go...@osmosis.gr>.
Konstantin