Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2003/10/08 20:01:49 UTC

RE: XMLBeans Speed (plus a "Should not be called" error)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Eric Vasilik wrote:
> What, exactly, is taking 2 seconds?  Is it:
>
>     XmlObject.Factory.parse( ... ) ???  (Or similar parse on a generated
> Factory?)
>
> The schema associated with an instance should not affect the initial
> load time for that document.
>
> Are you timing the first load, or are you warming up the VM before
> performing the timing?

I was timing the first load.  I just tried again where I loaded once
before timing and then timed the second load, and it was plenty fast.  So
I guess you're right that it's the "warm-up" that causes the delay.

Since my first question was so easy, here's another.  I am trying to run
the SchemaCompiler on the schema located at:

http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd

The schema compiler gives me this:

"web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd:7: error: Should not be called

	Any thoughts on what that means?  If I take out line 6, it works.
Line 6 is the "xmlns:xml" line in the snippet below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsd:schema
     targetNamespace="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
     xmlns:j2ee="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
     xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
     elementFormDefault="qualified"
     attributeFormDefault="unqualified"
     version="2.0">

	I guess I just don't understand why that line is in error.

Thanks,
	Aaron

P.S. If you get past the line 7 error, you'll also need the schema
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/j2ee_1_4.xsd

Re: [xmlbeans-dev] RE: XMLBeans Speed (plus a "Should not be called" error)

Posted by David Bau <da...@bea.com>.
The XML namespaces spec basically says you can't have user-defined namespace
prefixes that start with the letters "xml".  And the exact prefix xml: is
built-in so you shouldn't need to redefine it.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/

Namespace Constraint: Leading "XML"
Prefixes beginning with the three-letter sequence x, m, l, in any case
combination, are reserved for use by XML and XML-related specifications.

We're catching an error from the underlying XML parser but not passing on a
very good error message. If you get a chance can you open a bugzilla bug
about the message?

David