Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gerry Duhig <ge...@nectar.demon.co.uk> on 2001/04/18 13:11:58 UTC

Very Basic question about Apache-Tomcat configuration

Help please!

I have Apache running with ApacheJServ  and working fine!

I want to test tomcat and consider it as a replacement for JServ.

I downloaded Tomcat and edited the Apache httpd.conf to include the
apache-tomcat.conf file, instead of the JServ file.

I start tomcat and I start Apache, Apache serves static html as expected, it
passes jsp requests to tomcat fine (the examples work), but it doesn't pass
servlet requests through at all.

I can test the servlet examples by using file://localhost:8080/examples, but
I cannot make Apache pass the requests across unless that port number is
explicitly used.

Am I supposed to find and use a special mod_jserv.so?

Am I supposed to create zone property files as in ApacheJserv?

What am I supposed to do?

Gerry

Re: Very Basic question about Apache-Tomcat configuration

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
<snip>

> Anyway, I am running now (examples at least - now I have to make my real
job
> work!) thanks again for the clues.
>
> Gerry

Allot of people have issues with the documentation for this area. All the
information is there, it just can be a little hard to find :-) The
workers.properties file also perhaps could be a little more intellegent
about file locations et al.

Glad to hear you got it working. As for creating your own webapp area, just
editing the server.xml should be enough. The autogenerated mod_jk.conf_auto
generated by tomcat when it starts will contain the directives apache needs
to recognise your new context. Let us know if you have any more problems
with it.

sam

Re: Very Basic question about Apache-Tomcat configuration

Posted by Gerry Duhig <ge...@nectar.demon.co.uk>.
Sam,

Thanks for the response. I understand that I am circumventing apache by
using localhost:8080, but it was useful in proving that tomcat was alive.

And you are correct that I was not using 8080 to get the jsp pages to work!

Which confused me entirely, because clearly tomcat knows what it is doing,
Apache knows what to do with jsp references but the basic servlet bit
failed!

By the time I received your response I was just editing the
worker.properties file having downloaded mod_jk.so - and it works!

I had in the meantime downloaded the special mod_jserv for linux tomcat but
that failed as well.

I've read every stitch of doc I can find!