Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/09/12 17:04:39 UTC

Apache Freezing (select: (listen): Bad address) (fwd)

I still don't buy this, but FWIW...

He is claiming that since the kernel doesn't like what Apache is passing
it then Apache must be broken, since it couldn't every be Linux.  It does
happen with 1.2, Linux is the only OS it happens on.  That doesn't mean it
can't be a bug in Apache, but...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> OTOH, if listenmaxfd got stomped on, it could have a bad effect, I'd
> guess.

I looked at this too, and it just truncates listenmaxfd to OPEN_MAX so
shouldn't generate an EFAULT based on that.

Dean

Re: Apache Freezing (select: (listen): Bad address) (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Marc Slemko wrote:
> > >
> > > I still don't buy this, but FWIW...
> > >
> > > He is claiming that since the kernel doesn't like what Apache is passing
> > > it then Apache must be broken, since it couldn't every be Linux.  It does
> > > happen with 1.2, Linux is the only OS it happens on.  That doesn't mean it
> > > can't be a bug in Apache, but...
> >
> > If Apache is passing an invalid address, then it is Apache. Of course,
> > the fact that the kernel says it is invalid is not proof that it is
> > invalid - but that may not be what he means when he says he's verified
> > and traced it.
>
> Apache doesn't pass addresses.  It passes a fd to a listen() call.

Err, no. This is a select() call we are talking about. But since it is
passing the address of a stack-based variable, some pretty serious (and
strange) scribbling would have to have happened for it to be Apache's
fault.

OTOH, if listenmaxfd got stomped on, it could have a bad effect, I'd
guess.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org

Re: Apache Freezing (select: (listen): Bad address) (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > I still don't buy this, but FWIW...
> >
> > He is claiming that since the kernel doesn't like what Apache is passing
> > it then Apache must be broken, since it couldn't every be Linux.  It does
> > happen with 1.2, Linux is the only OS it happens on.  That doesn't mean it
> > can't be a bug in Apache, but...
>
> If Apache is passing an invalid address, then it is Apache. Of course,
> the fact that the kernel says it is invalid is not proof that it is
> invalid - but that may not be what he means when he says he's verified
> and traced it.

Apache doesn't pass addresses.  It passes a fd to a listen() call.  The fd
it gets is from other system and library calls.  If they give a fd with
bogus information, Apache can not be faulted for passing it.  If you look
at what Apache does with that fd, there is very little.  It is possible,
but unlikely, that Apache is scribbling over the memory associated with
it.

Re: Apache Freezing (select: (listen): Bad address) (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.