Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/17 02:05:52 UTC

Buffering Streaming HTTP with ATS

This email is meant to open discussions regarding this as I'm not entirely
sure ATS can even do this sort of thing.

1) Is there some way I can configure ATS to buffer streaming HTTP?  I'd
happily sacrifice 8MB of RAM(a few seconds of video) or so to make this
happen.  Disk would also work fine.

2) If not, would you guys consider this for a future feature?

I know this is sort of a "pie in the sky" type request, the only reason I
ask is I now have a parent cache that can move approx. 50MB/sec of data and
a child cache that can only accept about 1.5MB/sec of data.

It'd be really nice to leverage the parent cache to do more than simply
work around IPv4's backbone routing slowness.

Thanks In Advance,

Adam W. Dace <co...@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848
Microsoft Messenger - colonelforbin74@live.com <ad...@turing.com>

Google Profile: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109309036874332290399/about

Re: Buffering Streaming HTTP with ATS

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM, James Peach <jp...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Oct 16, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Adam W. Dace <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
 >> This email is meant to open discussions regarding this as I'm not entirely sure ATS can even do this sort of thing.

 >> 1) Is there some way I can configure ATS to buffer streaming HTTP?

It is possible to configure 4.0.1 to limit the amount of internal buffer used per transaction[1]. If you used that, ATS should slow down the reads from the origin server if the client side is slower. I don't know if that would accomplish what you want. It should work even if the content isn't cached. It is supposed to work even if the content is pulled from cache but that has only been lightly tested.

[1] http://trafficserver.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/configuration/records.config.en.html#proxy-config-http-flow-control-enabled

Re: Buffering Streaming HTTP with ATS

Posted by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com>.
Uh...let me put ATS into debug mode and take a look.  I'll get back to you.

I'm still playing a bit of whack-a-mole with tuning options.  Of course,
having a child proxy in Illinois and a parent proxy in California will do
that.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.