Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/03 03:12:31 UTC

jakarta-tomcat-connectors tag ?

What would be the right tag name for jakarta-tomcat-connectors ?

I'm trying to build a standalone - useable with 3.3 and 4.1 ( and 5.0 ).

Should I tag it as JTC_1_2_M1 ?

AFAIK we had 2 releases that included JTC ( tomcat4.1.18 and 24 ).

Costin

RE: jakarta-tomcat-connectors tag ?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> From Costin Manolache
>> >
>> > Yes It does, and I'm +1 to keep the things as is for now,
>> documenting
>> > the change. The proposed tomcat-jni replacement would take
>> a week or
>> > so to develeop and test on all platforms and servers.
>>
>> Could you update the docs ? I haven't tested the JNI case.
>>

> Will do, but only for JK2, didn't test the jni on JK1, but that isn't
> affected AFAICT.

AFAIK Jk1 JNI never worked with tomcat4.x - last time I checked some
code was missing.

For 3.3 - there is still the jk1 in the 3.3 repo.

>> Let's move ahead and tag a JTC_1_3_M1 - in sync with 5.0.2 -
>> and we can get those enhancements and other fixes for the next build.
>>

> +1.
>
> Are we gonna make some releases?
> It's been awhile since the last one.

I'm trying to build one for the java code ( util, coyote, jk2, http11 ).
I don't know how far is Glenn with mod_jk1.

I think we should at least put a tag on mod_jk2 - I don't have the
time right now, but I think we need another release of it before 5.0.3

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

>From Costin Manolache
> >
> > Yes It does, and I'm +1 to keep the things as is for now,
> documenting
> > the change. The proposed tomcat-jni replacement would take
> a week or
> > so to develeop and test on all platforms and servers.
>
> Could you update the docs ? I haven't tested the JNI case.

Will do, but only for JK2, didn't test the jni on JK1, but that isn't
affected AFAICT.

> Let's move ahead and tag a JTC_1_3_M1 - in sync with 5.0.2 -
> and we can get those enhancements and other fixes for the next build.

+1.

Are we gonna make some releases?
It's been awhile since the last one.

MT.

RE: jakarta-tomcat-connectors tag ?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

>From Costin Manolache
> >>
> >> What would you preffer ?
> >>
> > Nice blonde ;-)
>
> Not sure you'll find her on tomcat-dev, but keep looking :-)

LOL ;).

> +1 - TomcatStarter started as a hack.
>
> My long-term preference would be for the startup ( in all
> cases: JNI, standalone, embeded  ) to be driven by JMX +
> modeler + MLET-like file. A small Launcher that adds JMX,
> modeler and other jars to a common loader would be nice for
> all cases ( it doesn't need to be JNI specific ).

Agreed, could be command line param that will load 'real' classloader.
But I would still like to have some monitoring capabilities,
like when the entire thing is ready to accept connections and when it
shuts down.
(Remember the calls from TomcatStarter to detach main jvm thread. Cannot
restart IIS without that).
That would be two (at least) native calls registered by the callee
(jk2).

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> Fom Costin Manolache
>> >
>> > What about JNI in JK2?
>> > The tomcat-jni is now dependant to commons-modeler, jmx, etc..., so
>> > we'll need to either change that or document as so.
>>
>> What would you preffer ?
>>
> Nice blonde ;-)

Not sure you'll find her on tomcat-dev, but keep looking :-)

>> IMO JMX is the best way to load the components - so I would
>> rather have ( long term ) the jni code load jmx + modeler + a
>> mlet.xml file, with no
>> dep on tomcat/jtc. It seems much cleaner and consistent with the way
>> tomcat5 should be embeded ( again, IMHO ).
>
> Agreed. I was thinking to make something lightweight in front, instead
> TomcatStarter.
> The name would be JNIClassLoader, and will be as LauncherBootsrap (the
> single class file).
> This way we'll be able to use the TC even from 'dirty' jvm.

+1 - TomcatStarter started as a hack.

My long-term preference would be for the startup ( in all cases: JNI,
standalone, embeded  ) to be driven by JMX + modeler + MLET-like file.
A small Launcher that adds JMX, modeler and other jars to a common loader
would be nice for all cases ( it doesn't need to be JNI specific ).

> Also we'll not need the tomcat-jni any more, cause the Jk will be used
> from tomcat-jk2.

Big +1, I had only problems with tomcat-jni. The sooner we remove it, the
better. ( it duplicate classes, creates weird endorsed problems, etc ).

( I still remember I wrote tomcat-jni trying to simplify the startup - big
mistake :-)

> The current 'classpath' vm options would be used as URLClassLoader and
> URL[]'s will be set by calling
> native methods (instead of parsing properties file as LauncherBootsrap
> does).

I think requiring the user to place a real CLASSPATH would be acceptable.
Or just using a very small .jar with a ClassPath attribute and a main that
just calls the real startup.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Fom Costin Manolache

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.