Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2010/04/23 17:20:59 UTC

Versioning DocBook and API docs on the Qpid Web Site

I'm getting ready to post the DocBook docs on the Qpid web site along
with API docs (looks like early next week at this point).

I want to make sure we have a good plan to handle versions and links
among documents. I think a file structure like this might work well:

Versions

http://qpid.apache.org/doc/
contains all docs

http://qpid.apache.org/devel/
symlink to the devel version of the documentation

http://qpid.apache.org/stable/
symlink to the docs for the latest release

http://qpid.apache.org/doc/ 0.6/
docs for a specific version

Subdirectories

http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/
Current Wiki, converted to book. We may eventually subdivide this into
different guides, e.g.
http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/programming, or
http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/broker-java.

http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/api/cpp
C++ API reference, generated by Doxygen

http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/api/cpp
Python API reference, generated by ePydoc

Links among Documents

Links should be absolute links to the current version of the
documentation. For instance, a link from
http://qpid.apache.org/doc/0.6/book/qpid-book.html to the C++ API docs
should point to http://qpid.apache.org/doc/0.6/api/cpp

Tracking changes in the text

We should endeaver to use phrases like "since 0.6" to identify new
features and changes, so the latest documentation shows what has changed.

Does this makes sense? Once we start using a given structure, it becomes
harder to change, so I want to get agreement on this up front.

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Versioning DocBook and API docs on the Qpid Web Site

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Jonathan Robie
<jo...@redhat.com> wrote:
> If we want to post our current docs as work-in-progress, but still have the
> flexibility to be able to keep multiple versions on the site, we could put
> all docs in ./devel for now. Would you be OK with that?

For now we can post all docs under /devel or /trunk  (I think that
gives the users the impression that it's work-in-progress)
(Also going forward we can continue to maintain the /devel for people
who use trunk)
Then for each release we put them under the release number.
In our website we could have links for the last 3 releases and the
rest under "Archive".
(I described this in the prototype for the website. But I can't seem
to access my apache space now)

> I like the idea of putting a header on the Wiki page. I think it should
> mention that we are "in the process of" replacing the Wiki, and link to the
> new DocBook docs.
>
> I also like the idea of not deleting the old Wiki info.
>
> Make sense?
agreed.

> Jonathan
>
> On 04/23/2010 11:34 AM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>>
>> I would keep it simple for now.
>>
>> We should post the current docs as work-in-progress.
>> Then when we release 0.7 we can then have our first set of version
>> controlled docs.
>> For all previous releases we should ask them to refer to the wiki docs.
>>
>> We shouldn't delete the old wiki docs.
>> Rather in bold letters we should put at the top saying that these docs
>> are deprecated and *may* only be relevant for versions<  0.7 or
>> something to that extent :)
>>
>> How does that sound?
>>
>> Rajith
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jonathan Robie
>> <jo...@redhat.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> I'm getting ready to post the DocBook docs on the Qpid web site along
>>> with
>>> API docs (looks like early next week at this point).
>>>
>>> I want to make sure we have a good plan to handle versions and links
>>> among
>>> documents. I think a file structure like this might work well:
>>>
>>> Versions
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/
>>> contains all docs
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/devel/
>>> symlink to the devel version of the documentation
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/stable/
>>> symlink to the docs for the latest release
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/ 0.6/
>>> docs for a specific version
>>>
>>> Subdirectories
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/
>>> Current Wiki, converted to book. We may eventually subdivide this into
>>> different guides, e.g.
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/programming,
>>> or http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/broker-java.
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/api/cpp
>>> C++ API reference, generated by Doxygen
>>>
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/api/cpp
>>> Python API reference, generated by ePydoc
>>>
>>> Links among Documents
>>>
>>> Links should be absolute links to the current version of the
>>> documentation.
>>> For instance, a link from
>>> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/0.6/book/qpid-book.html to the C++ API docs
>>> should point to http://qpid.apache.org/doc/0.6/api/cpp
>>>
>>> Tracking changes in the text
>>>
>>> We should endeaver to use phrases like "since 0.6" to identify new
>>> features
>>> and changes, so the latest documentation shows what has changed.
>>>

>>> Does this makes sense? Once we start using a given structure, it becomes
>>> harder to change, so I want to get agreement on this up front.
>>>
>>> Jonathan

>>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
>>> Use/Interact: mailto:dev-subscribe@qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi, sounds like a plan to me !

Thanks,
Marnie

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Hi Marnie,

I think ./devel always refers to whatever matches what the most recent
docs in svn, ./stable always refers to the latest released docs (which
will have even numbers), and we only create ./0.6, ./0.8, etc. when we
do a release. So you're right, we won't see odd version numbers here.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,