Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by di...@nixsyspaus.org on 2013/04/12 03:47:27 UTC

Clarification of Public Documentation License 1.0

Greetings,

Could someone of proper standing submit the PDL:

http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html

to the OSI:

http://opensource.org/approval

for review and clarification of this license?

TIA

Re: Clarification of Public Documentation License 1.0

Posted by di...@nixsyspaus.org.
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 02:26:40PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM, <di...@nixsyspaus.org> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Could someone of proper standing submit the PDL:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html
> >
> > to the OSI:
> >
> > http://opensource.org/approval
> >
> > for review and clarification of this license?
> >

> 1. It is a documentation license, not a source code license, so I don't see
> this as being relevant to the OSI.  For example, I don't believe OSI has
> reviewed/approved the Creative Commons licenses or the GNU Free
> Documentation License either.
>
> 2.  The PDL was originally from Sun Microsystems.  They don't exist
> anymore, and we're not using that license in the Apache OpenOffice project
> for any new work.  Everything will be Apache License 2.0, code and
> documentation, in the future.
>
> So I don't think anyone has the standing or interest to take this to the
> OSI, and I'm not sure the OSI even wants to deal with documentation
> licenses.
>
> Is there any other way we can help you?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Thank you, Mr. Weir. I am copying this message to <li...@fsf.org> to have
their reviewal instead to see if it can be listed here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#DocumentationLicenses

The goal is to verify if it can be one of the default acceptable licenses for
use with pkgsrc (http://pkgsrc.org) - which is to say OSI/FSF-approved
licenses.

RE: Clarification of Public Documentation License 1.0

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
[Off-topic]

Apart from particular interest that diro@ has stated, I find there to be something odd about the use of PDL on www.openoffice.org artifacts.  I have not seen one of those attached PDL licenses that anyone bothered to fill out.  That is, the blanks are not filled in and there is no way to ascertain who the granters of any of those licenses happen to be.  That makes it rather difficult to comply with some of their provisions [;<).

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.