Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ilya Volynets <iv...@usa.net> on 2000/04/02 03:07:56 UTC

Authorisation realms: "newbie" question

Hi folks. I am not much into Apache development,
but I wrote a little mofule recently. What it
does, it emulates some functionality of
Oracle Web Application Server's PL/SQL cartridge.
Now, here goes the question:
 I've been trying to mimiqe custom authorisation
functionality provided by OWAS. One of its features is
an ability to set authorisation realm from within "authorize"
procedure. When I tried to deal with this situation,
I discovered that it is not possible to set this information from
within a module (or at least I didn't find any API function for that).
Is it intentional, is there any specific reason for it?
	Ilya.

Re: Authorisation realms: "newbie" question

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 05:07:56PM -0800, Ilya Volynets wrote:
>  I've been trying to mimiqe custom authorisation
> functionality provided by OWAS. One of its features is
> an ability to set authorisation realm from within "authorize"
> procedure. When I tried to deal with this situation,
> I discovered that it is not possible to set this information from
> within a module (or at least I didn't find any API function for that).
> Is it intentional, is there any specific reason for it?

I don't quite understand. What is the specific user functionality you
want to add?

You naturally have to know the realm before sending the 401 error code
to the user. So I guess you want to set the realm based on specifics
of the user's request other than directory and file? This sounds
useful.

It doesn't look like this possible using existing APIs, but you could
probably just take the functions used to verify passwords in
http_protocol.c or mod_auth_digest, and put modified versions in your
module.