Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Anthony Martin <An...@TRAMS.com> on 2002/01/15 21:48:10 UTC

LogSource.java

In order to make this more applet friendly, I'm suggesting the following
changes.

jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging/LogSource.java

Referred to date: 1/5/2002
Starting at line: 149

    String name =
        System.getProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.log");

    String name = null ;
    try {
	name = System.getProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.log");
    } catch ( Throwable t ) { }

Anthony

The materials of action are variable,
but the use we make of them should be constant.
-Epictetus (circa 60 A.D.), translated by Thomas Wentworth Higginson

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 01:10 AM, Incze Lajos wrote:

>>> I would advertise the "http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/" URL, as it's
>>> stable and you can find anything you want from there. Also, you can
>>> spare a couple of web site updates when something new arises in e.g.
>>> the nightly builds.
>>
>> i'm a bit confused.
>>
>> aren't the build urls already there under the downloads section of the
>> project information on the left of each page?
>>
>> - robert
>
> The download section lists (binary and source) URLs to certain (most)
> projects.
> However the above URL contains much more than that is advertised there.
> E.g. on the http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.html page you
> can't see nightly builds for regexp or oro. If you check them, then
> regexp HAS nightly build while oro really has not.
>
> What I propsed is to advertise the single URL
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/
> and describe the structure under that. This way everybody can see for sure
> what exists and what does not (and you don't have to update allways the
> download section. The simplest solution (I think) to point the "download"
> to this URL and all the other materials can be put into a README under
> this URL.
>
> Just an idea (I hate site management).

i think i understand you a bit better now.

how the jakarta web pages work is that the core pages (associated with
jakarta as a whole) are kept together in a cvs module called jakarta-site2.
  then each (sub)project (for example, the commons) maintains there own
pages as well. i was talking about an update to the commons pages only.

i think that the pages you're talking about are in the main site pages.
the right list to talk about improvements is general@jakarta.apache.org.
rather than cc a copy there, i can offer you a good guess as to what their
response will be: you'll be told - submit a patch! to help you get started,
  you should checkout a copy of jakarta-site2 from cvs and then read
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html. i think that the file
you'll need to patch is jakarta-site2/xdocs/stylesheets/project.xml.

- robert

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>.

What I propsed is to advertise the single URL http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/
and describe the structure under that. This way everybody can see for sure
what exists and what does not (and you don't have to update allways the
download section. The simplest solution (I think) to point the "download"
to this URL and all the other materials can be put into a README under
this URL.

Just an idea (I hate site management).

incze

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>.

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 07:45 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> we need to update the web site.
>
> Yep.

i'm working on this now.

- robert

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 07:45 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> we need to update the web site.
>>

> Yep.

i've committed updates to components.xml and project.xml (and the
generated html docs) adding commons-logging. i'll leave it a little while
before updating the actual site so that anybody who wants to take a look
can do so - and point out any problems - before they go live.

- robert

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:21:05 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: LogSource.java
>

> On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 04:33 AM, Anil Kumar C wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could some one let me know where can I find the source code for the
> > common logging framework.
> >
> > I can't see them yet hosted in either the components/ sandbox section.

Nightly builds of most Commons components can be found by navigating from:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/

> the source is in the usual place in the commons (rather than the sandbox).
> we need to update the web site.

Yep.

> - robert

Craig

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by Anil Kumar C <an...@mindtree.com>.
Hi,

Could some one let me know where can I find the source code for the common logging framework.

I can't see them yet hosted in either the components/ sandbox section.

Anil

Re: LogSource.java

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.