Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Stefan Fattinger <s....@curecomp.com> on 2021/09/16 13:49:53 UTC

Possible License Problems in BitmapImageRenderer and StringCodepointsIterable

Hi,

we are currently checking the Open Source Compliance of Apache Poi 5.0.0 and if we can use it in our commercial software.
We found two problems, which may can be resolved somehow:

  1.  org/apache/poi/sl/draw/BitmapImageRenderer.java
     *   Method: readImage
     *   There is a comment with a stackoverflow link and there are several lines of code which are completely equal with the suggested solution from stackoverflow
     *   Problem: Code on Stackoverflow is published under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License, which is kind of a problem
     *   Solution: remove the stackoverflow link and maybe rewrite the code a little bit
  2.  org/apache/poi/util/StringCodepointsIterable.java
     *   The file/class is basically a copy of https://gist.github.com/EmmanuelOga/48df70b27ead4d80234b which is also mentioned in the comment above the class declaration
     *   Problem: There is no license, copyright, etc. for this code which is technically a violation of the copyright
     *   Solution: ??

If I am wrong somehow, please correct me. But my colleague who detected these findings has many years of consulting experience in open source compliance.

KR Stefan

Re: Possible License Problems in BitmapImageRenderer and StringCodepointsIterable

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Devs,

I've changed BitmapImageRenderer locally, but I need to find the test files which trigger mode 1 (grayscale) and mode 2 (truncated).
I've added the handling based on the regression tests on 20.06.2016 - so if you would have the test-results from back then, it might be easier to identify the culprit.

Andi

AW: Possible License Problems in BitmapImageRenderer and StringCodepointsIterable

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Please take these concerns directly to the POI project. You can write to either private@poi.apache.org or dev@poi.apache.org.

Regards,
Dave