Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rumpa Giri <gi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/21 01:17:42 UTC

maxProcessor attribute question

I had 2 questions regarding tomcat configuration:

1) We are currently trying to reconfigure our IIS to point to the tomcats as follows:

We will have 4 web servers. And 3 app servers each running 4 tomcat instance each  configured to only have AJP connectors. In total 12 tomcat instance running in total.
And each web server is going to point to all the 12 tomcats for failover at the web server layer. Is there any downside to such a configuration? Earlier we had one web server point to only one app server running 4 instances.

2) In the
 <!-- Define a Coyote/JK2 AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
     <Connector port="8009"
                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
                protocol="AJP/1.3" />

 I can define one more attribute named maxProcessors.

 A maxProcessors value of zero (0) signifies that        the number of processors is unlimited. If not specified, this       atttribute defaults to 20.

In the documentation it mentions for the [maxProcessors] "This should be       set to a value that is greater than or equal to the maximum number       of concurrent connections the remote web server can open to Tomcat        simultaneously."

In the configuration described above(1), since all the webservers are going to point to all the tomcat instances, we are thinking of putting [maxProcessors value of zero (0) ] in the AJP connector. Is there any disadvantage to that?

Thanks,
Rumpa Giri

---------------------------------

Re: maxProcessor attribute question

Posted by Rumpa Giri <gi...@yahoo.com>.
We are currently using 5.0.28 tomcat version. We were referring to docs for version 5.0.

Thanks,
Rumpa Giri

Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:
"Rumpa Giri"  wrote in message
>I had 2 questions regarding tomcat configuration:
>
> 1) We are currently trying to reconfigure our IIS to point to the tomcats
> as follows:
>
> We will have 4 web servers. And 3 app servers each running 4 tomcat
> instance each  configured to only have AJP connectors. In total 12 tomcat
> instance running in total.
> And each web server is going to point to all the 12 tomcats for failover
> at the web server layer. Is there any downside to such a configuration?
> Earlier we had one web server point to only one app server running 4
> instances.
>
> 2) In the
>

>                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
>                protocol="AJP/1.3" />
>
> I can define one more attribute named maxProcessors.
>
> A maxProcessors value of zero (0) signifies that        the number of
> processors is unlimited. If not specified, this       atttribute defaults
> to 20.
>
> In the documentation it mentions for the [maxProcessors] "This should be
> set to a value that is greater than or equal to the maximum number
> of concurrent connections the remote web server can open to Tomcat
> simultaneously."
>
> In the configuration described above(1), since all the webservers are
> going to point to all the tomcat instances, we are thinking of putting
> [maxProcessors value of zero (0) ] in the AJP connector. Is there any
> disadvantage to that?

The main disadvantage is that the docs are wrong ;-).

If you are using the APR Connector, then you need maxProcessors="-1" to
achieve this.  If you are using the Java Connector, then 0 gets changed to
200.

Re: maxProcessor attribute question

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.