Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve McIntyre <sm...@tickets.com> on 2000/11/17 22:11:39 UTC

Tomcat ServerSocket Dies

Hi,

We are running some heavy load testing using Tomcat 3.1, JDK 1.2.1.04 on
Solaris with Apache and Jserv. As our tests ramp up, we invariably get the
error below. We have changed our file descriptors from 64 to 256, but this
did not appear to change the results.

Per below, we are using PoolTcpConnector connector or 500 max connection,
and 200 & 100 max/min spare threads respectively.

Any ideas what the 'too many open files' really indicates?

Thanks for you help!

System.out
----------
500 200 100
Starting tcp endpoint on 8007 with
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Compiled
Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8007] shutdown
due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files

Steve McIntyre
Email: smcintyre@tickets.com
Tickets.com -
"Official Ticketing Supplier to the 2002 Olympic Winter Games"