Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/10/27 09:14:56 UTC

James v3 investigatory questions

As I have mentioned, I will be at Software Summit (www.softwaresummit.com)
in a week.  During Software Summit I'll have the opportunity to talk with a
lot of folks from Sun and elsewhere about some of the issues we have
mentioned as having in mind for v3.  Not to make decisions, but to get
additional information and advice to bring back to the group.

So what I'd like to do is put together a list of
ideas/questions/directions/etc. that we think might be of interest for James
v3, so that I can make the most of the opportunity our our collective
behalf.

Possible question areas:
  - JAAS
  - java.nio
  - any JavaMail issues?
  - Is JNDI suitable as a general interface to a
    user and data (mail) store?  If not, what are
    recommendations?

Are we willing to keep James v2.x on JDK 1.3, and allow James v3 to use JDK
1.4+, so that we can use java.nio and other enhanced network features?

As I said, I'm not trying to get into Mailet API v2 issues, or what the
storage interface will be.  I'm just trying to collect any questions that we
would like explored.

On a related note, and to catalyze some ideas, I'll start by mentioning that
one of my semi-amorphous goals for James v3 is that I'd like it to be
suitable for Apache to "eat its own dog food" but I think we've still got a
good way to go, especially with respect to mailing list support.  Others
have said that they would like first class IMAP support, or even full
Exchange functionality.

Since people have mentioned Exchange functionality, I did look around, and
find:

  - http://sourceforge.net/projects/osexchange/
    3 admins, 13 members
    planning stages

  - http://www.prochange.org/www/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/prochange/
    2 admins, 31 developers
    written in Java
    planning stages

What would be nice is to say, "James is an already maturing mail server
project to which you can contribute."  If we get a few more creative,
dedicated, souls that can't hurt.  :-)  Amazingly, Prochange is in planning,
but already has PR: http://www.pressi.com/at/release/46912.html.

	--- Noel