Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com> on 2007/05/22 19:42:05 UTC

[users@httpd] fully qualified domain name - Problem

When I restart apache2 on ubuntu 7.04 (amd_64) with the following command:
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
I get the following message:
"""
Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
127.0.1.1 for ServerName
"""
What is the solution?
Is there documentation on this subject?
thanks
Tim

--
Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com>
Palmer, Alaska, USA

Re: [users@httpd] fully qualified domain name - Problem

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.
Tim Johnson did speak thusly:
>When I restart apache2 on ubuntu 7.04 (amd_64) with the following command:
>/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>I get the following message:
>"""
>Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
>127.0.1.1 for ServerName
>"""
>What is the solution?

You need to have a ServerName directive in your configuration.

If you do not, and you don't have your DNS configured to allow a
reverse lookup on the IP address, you will get exactly what you see.

>Is there documentation on this subject?

Yes, on the Apache web site. The documentation there is quite good,
actually, I will say that it is outstanding for an open source
project such as Apache.

All configuration directives for the core functions and modules are
documented there. Third party modules will be documented elsewhere
(sometimes quite minimally), you'll have to search for them.

Dragon

Re: [users@httpd] fully qualified domain name - Problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/22/07, Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
> When I restart apache2 on ubuntu 7.04 (amd_64) with the following command:
> /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> I get the following message:
> """
> Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
> 127.0.1.1 for ServerName

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Errors/CouldNotDetermineServerName

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] fully qualified domain name - Problem

Posted by Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com>.
 Thanks to Joshua and Dragon, all is good now.
  cheers
  tim