Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Viswanathan Arunachalam <v....@auckland.ac.nz> on 2009/12/05 01:20:52 UTC

RE: using JMeter with PeopleSoft

Yes definitely you can use Jmeter to test any HTTP based application and in case you want to test HTTPS application then there is a very tricky workaround which I identified for testing our PeopleSoft HR apps.

You can record the test script using an open source tool badboy (http://www.badboy.com.au/download/send?svId=88) and export them as jmeter script.

This is really a cool way of testing HTTPS based apps & trust me it a time saving.

I would also recommend you to try these Firefox add-ons for testing browser/OS compatibility & security

1.     Tamper Data 10.1.0<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/966>
Tamper Data allows you to view and modify HTTP/HTTPS headers and post parameters. You can use it to test security of your web applications by modifying POST data and analyzing how your application will respond to those changes.

2.     YSlow 2.0.0b3<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5369>
YSlow analyzes web pages and gives you information on why they are slow based on the Yahoo's rule for high performance websites.

3.     Add N Edit Cookies<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/573>
There are very few applications which does not use cookies these days. This little add-on allows you to add / edit cookies and test how your application will respond to changes in the cookies setting.

4.      LinkChecker 0.6.3<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/532>
This is a very simple tool to check if there are any broken links on the web page. It highlights all the links in various colours to show if they are broken or not.

5.      MeasureIt 0.3.8<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/539>
If you have a design team which is very particular about the size of every element, than this little add-on can be used to test height and width of all the elements. It draws a ruler around any element and shows height / width of the element.

6.     Firebug<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843>
If you are working in web application domain, I am sure you are already familiar with this add-on. Firebug, along with the development toolbar are absolute minimum your Firefox should have if you are working in web application testing domain.

7.      Regular Expression Tester<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2077>
This small add-on allows you to test your regular expression. The tool includes options like case sensitive, global and multiline search, colour highlighting of found expressions and of special characters, a replacement function incl. back references, auto-closing of brackets, testing while writing and saving and managing of expressions.

8.      HttpFox<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6647>
This add-on is an amazing tool if you want to dig deeper into http request / response and analyze all the traffic. Using this add-on, you can get information about request / response header, sent and received cookies, Querystring parameters, POST parameters and Response body.

9.      HackBar 1.3.2<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3899>
I haven't explored this myself, but from description it looks like it should be useful for SQL injections, XSS holes and site security.

10.  Web Developer Toolbar<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60>
As mentioned earlier, this one along with the firebug are must have extensions if you are working in web application domain. These extensions are complete toolset and probably require separate articles to explain their capabilities.

Regards,
Viswanathan Arunachalam
Applications QA Analyst
Information Technology Services (ITS)

1883-2008: Celebrating 125 Years

"Om Sakti Amman Vinayaka Muruga Sastha Tunai"