Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by pweltz <ph...@gemalto.com> on 2012/02/09 18:07:19 UTC

Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL error: A TLS warning alert has been received.

I also had this error "SSL handshake
failed: SSL error: A TLS warning alert has been received. "

In case it helps, here is how I found a solution:

-I did a trace: tcpdump port 443 -s0 -w error.cap
-which I opened with wireshark, and saw the server gave a TLS warning "TLSv1
Record Layer: Alert (Level: Warning, Description: Unrecognized Name)"
This one is even documented in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
"TLS only; client's Server Name Indicator specified a hostname not supported
by the server"

I understood there was a mismatch between the ServerName in apache's
ssl.conf and the IP I used on the svn command line
I updated the ServerName and the error went away

Phil

Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL error: A TLS warning alert has been received.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:07:19AM -0800, pweltz wrote:

> I also had this error "SSL handshake
> failed: SSL error: A TLS warning alert has been received. "
>
> In case it helps, here is how I found a solution:
>
> -I did a trace: tcpdump port 443 -s0 -w error.cap
> -which I opened with wireshark, and saw the server gave a TLS warning "TLSv1
> Record Layer: Alert (Level: Warning, Description: Unrecognized Name)"
> This one is even documented in wikipedia
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
> "TLS only; client's Server Name Indicator specified a hostname not supported
> by the server"
>
> I understood there was a mismatch between the ServerName in apache's
> ssl.conf and the IP I used on the svn command line
> I updated the ServerName and the error went away

Thanks for sharing this!

A similar (but more obscure) error message due to the same underlying
problem is documented in the FAQ:
http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#ssl-error-336032856

I suppose we should add your error message to that FAQ entry, too.
Would you be able to provide a patch against
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/site/publish/faq.html
that makes this change?