Posted to women@apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2005/08/12 17:35:55 UTC

[VOTE] objective of this list

Re: [VOTE] objective of this list

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Aug 12, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>> On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>
>>> For clarity's sake, I pose the following as the definitive
>>> purpose of this list.  It is my interpretation of what was
>>> originally requested (which I may have gotten totally
>>> wrong ;-) and what I envision it to be.
>>>
>> Ken,
>> How about you (and myself, and a few other members) just back off
>> and  give Jean, Danese, and Susan a chance to lead this
>> discussion?  This  is the eleventh mail I've seen from you this
>> morning, and from all  appearances, it looks like you've shown up
>> and decided to just take  over.  How about we dial it back a notch
>> and see what happens?
>>

> Sometimes it's helpful when somebody who hasn't been in the middle
> of the heated debate posts a summary of their read of the
> situation. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first we heard from Ken
> this week on this list and I thought his list of purposes captured
> nicely the salient points, yet still left elbow room for future
> maneuvering. I especially liked his point #5 because it can be
> difficult to predict the way in which participation in the women's
> list might grow. We don't want to lock ourselves into a corner.

Fair enough.  I'll take my own advice and dial myself back a notch. :-)

-Fitz

Re: [VOTE] objective of this list

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>> For clarity's sake, I pose the following as the definitive
>> purpose of this list.  It is my interpretation of what was
>> originally requested (which I may have gotten totally
>> wrong ;-) and what I envision it to be.
>

> Ken,
>
> How about you (and myself, and a few other members) just back off and
> give Jean, Danese, and Susan a chance to lead this discussion?  This  is
> the eleventh mail I've seen from you this morning, and from all
> appearances, it looks like you've shown up and decided to just take
> over.  How about we dial it back a notch and see what happens?

Sometimes it's helpful when somebody who hasn't been in the middle of
the heated debate posts a summary of their read of the situation. If I'm
not mistaken, this is the first we heard from Ken this week on this list
and I thought his list of purposes captured nicely the salient points,
yet still left elbow room for future maneuvering. I especially liked his
point #5 because it can be difficult to predict the way in which
participation in the women's list might grow. We don't want to lock
ourselves into a corner.

  -jean

Re: [VOTE] objective of this list

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> Ken,
>
> How about you (and myself, and a few other members) just back off and give
> Jean, Danese, and Susan a chance to lead this discussion?  This is the
> eleventh mail I've seen from you this morning, and from all appearances, it
> looks like you've shown up and decided to just take over.  How about we dial
> it back a notch and see what happens?

Agreed.  Perhaps you men should take a step back and let us women discuss
what is best for us.  Perhaps we can use this opportunity to learn how to
make the community more palatable for women.  Perhaps we can use this
opportunity to learn how to speak with women more productively.

Re: [VOTE] objective of this list

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] objective of this list

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
[X] Yes, that's what this list is about.
[ ] Don't care; all the potential objectives have seemed appropriate.
[ ] No, that's not why this list exists (and I'll discuss my
     opinion in a separate thread).

thanks for adding clarity, Ken,

  -jean