Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by rfallon <ri...@atosorigin.com> on 2012/05/10 23:53:16 UTC

Using Failover & the brokerlist

All,

I'm looking at using the failover behaviour inbuilt with Qpid (v0.8).

So when I publish messages to a set of brokers, using the brokerlist (below)
the behaviour I see is ...

brokerlist=brokerA;brokerB&failover=roundrobin

(BrokerA and BrokerB are running)
Publisher continually sending messages
1. All received by BrokerA
2. Kill BrokerA
3. All received by BrokerB
4. Start BrokerA
5. All received by BrokerA

So broker A acts as a primary broker, the first one in the list is the
primary.

However with my consumer, using the same connection and address as above,
the behaviour I see is...

(BrokerA and BrokerB are running)
Consumer is continually reading messages
1. Consumer is reading from BrokerA
2. Kill BrokerA
3. Consumer is reading from BrokerB
4. Start BrokerA
5. Consumer is reading from BrokerB
6. Kill BrokerB
7. Consumer is reading from BrokerA

 I'm using Java and Camel out the box.  I suspect that the Producer works in
one way because the Qpid client creates a new connection for each message
send, so sends to the first available one in the brokerlist.  But the
consumer only  reverts to the primary broker if the secondary broker is
killed, as there is no new connection being created for each poll of the
broker.

I realise this is not really a Qpid problem, but is there anything I can do
to ensure my publisher and consumer are both talking to the same broker when
using failover?

Thanks in advance

Richard