Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/03/14 14:16:13 UTC

Beta Survey

The purpose of having a beta release of 4.1 is to gather feedback from
users.  Reports to Bugzilla or the mailing list is one source of
feedback.  But that doesn't give us a good sense of coverage.  If
there were no beta testers of the Bulgarian translation (for example)
then we'd probably want to take a closer look, at that specific
package.

I'm putting together a beta survey that we can have beta testers fill
out, to record their testing experience.  I'm thinking of questions
like:

1) What platform they ran with

2) What language they used

3) How many hours they have used AOO beta

4) Which apps did they use

5) What file formats did they read/write

6) Link to a list of P1 bugs reported on beta:   Did they encounter
any of these bugs?

7) Did they encounter any other bugs?  (Nudge them to enter a BZ report)

8) Did they try any of the new features in AOO 4.1 (list them)

9) Any other comments (free text response)

Does anyone have any other suggested questions?

The plan would be to send out the survey early next week, before the
beta period is done, so we can react to any feedback.

-Rob

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Marcolongo <gi...@alice.it>.
Thank you, Andrea. Problem with 4.0.1 has been resolved, following the
instructions of the link - http://s.apache.org/profilo,
Regards
Gian Paolo Marcolongo

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Marcolongo <gi...@alice.it>.
Andrea writes
"Rename your profile: http://s.apache.org/profilo (see the Forum for
updated paths if your OS is in Italian)."

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Marcolongo <gi...@alice.it>.
I apologize in advance if my English is not perfect or too elementary.
I installed the BETA version three days ago and I'm using it instead of
the version 4.0.1
Using two components in Writer and Calc MSOffice-compatible format.
The overall impression is good. No crash. It is slightly faster than the
previous one. Let's move on to the list.

1) Platform Vindows pro 8.1 64bit, updated March 13, 2014
2) Italian language
3) about 8 hours a day.
4) writer and calc
5) format. Doc and. Xls
6) no bugs
7) no
8) no. I need to retrieve the list
9) during installation copied bad three extensions (two epub converters
and one dictionary), taking outdated versions. You did not copy the
customizations made. It has taken some personal definitions deleted.
Apart from that there were no problems. Only doubt. Version 4.0.1 has

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de>.
Rob Weir schrieb:

> 1) What platform they ran with
   PC

> 2) What language they used
   German WIN, German, French, Wpanish, EN-US UI and Localization for
   tests
> 3) How many hours they have used AOO beta
   1 hour per day or so

> 4) Which apps did they use
   Writer, Calc, Draw

> 5) What file formats did they read/write
     Mainly ODF

> 6) Link to a list of P1 bugs reported on beta:   Did they encounter
> any of these bugs?
   No

> 7) Did they encounter any other bugs?  (Nudge them to enter a BZ report)
   I did not find own new bugs with 4.1.0 Beta

> 8) Did they try any of the new features in AOO 4.1 (list them)
   Can't remember, don't think so

> 9) Any other comments (free text response)
   Regression situation with 4.1.0 still rather unclear, see
   my posting "4.1. Regressions"

Rainer Bielefeld

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de>.
Rob Weir schrieb:

> 1) What platform they ran with
   PC

> 2) What language they used
   German WIN, German, French, Wpanish, EN-US UI and Localization for
   tests
> 3) How many hours they have used AOO beta
   1 hour per day or so

> 4) Which apps did they use
   Writer, Calc, Draw

> 5) What file formats did they read/write
     Mainly ODF

> 6) Link to a list of P1 bugs reported on beta:   Did they encounter
> any of these bugs?
   No

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Marcolongo <gi...@alice.it>.
For me, the proposed list is exhaustive. I'm using the beta version
without any problems.
I have no other additional questions
Regards
Gian Paolo Marcolongo

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.
0) How did you hear about the beta?
10) What other versions are installed on your PC along with this beta?
11) What changes relative to beta do you expect to see in the release candidate?
12) What is the next appropriate release (4.1.1 / 4.2 / 5)?

Re: Beta Survey

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.