Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Joe Wicentowski <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/15 00:13:24 UTC

Distiller errors with postscript generated by FOP

Hi all,

A belated thanks for the response to my previous question about using Adobe
Distiller with postscript output from Apache FOP.

I am hitting a new issue, in which Adobe Distiller gives me an error when I
give it a .ps file generated by Apache FOP, but only when I use Distiller's
Press Quality setting.  With Distiller's Standard setting, I don't get an
error - presumably because Standard isn't as strict about the font issue
reported in the log:

----
%%[ Error: Times-BoldItalic not found. Font cannot be embedded. ]%%
%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: findfont ]%%

Stack:
/Font
(Times-BoldItalic)

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
----

What's strange is that I don't even use Times in this file.  The only font
I use in my .fo file is Palatino Linotype.

Has anyone encountered this error before with Distiller?

For more context, I generated the .ps file on the Mac, using FOP trunk
(latest).  I was using Distiller from Acrobat Pro XI on Windows 7.  If it's
useful, I've posted the .fo, fop.config and .ps files at the links below:

http://static.history.state.gov.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/frus-history.fo
http://static.history.state.gov.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/frus-history-original.ps
http://static.history.state.gov.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/frus-history-with-times-and-courier-defined.ps
http://static.history.state.gov.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/fop-config.xml

The 'original' ps file uses the fop-config.xml as is.  The
'with-times-and-courier-defined' version uses the same config file, but
with the times and courier entries uncommented.  The times and courier
entries were my attempt to force FOP to embed Courier and Times from the
Mac, since they both appeared in Distiller errors.  But embedding these
didn't help.

My inclination is to try to strip the .ps file of any unused fonts, but I
haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joe

Re: Distiller errors with postscript generated by FOP

Posted by Joe Wicentowski <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

Spurred on by that idea in my last email, I added a global @font-family
definition to the fo:root of the document, and after regenerating the .ps,
I was happy to find no references to fonts other than Palatino.  And
Distiller processes the file without a hiccup.

Thanks so much for helping me find the combination of settings that got me
over this roadblock!

Please let me know if I can do any further testing on this issue to help.

Best,
Joe

Posted by Joe Wicentowski <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,