Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Nantz, Brian" <Br...@camtronics.com> on 2002/10/28 17:15:58 UTC

.Net port

I am creating a .Net port of the Logkit.  I was wondering if I could link to
(and possible reproduce) some of your documentation.

Re: Avalon Containers

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 22:40, Peter M. Goldstein wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Can anyone point me to a quick discussion of the assorted Avalon
> containers?

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/reference-containers.html

note it is a bit out-of-date.

phoenix - stable, standalone, very feature-rich. Biggest development
community.

ecm - stable, embedded, not a very nice design in most people's
opinions. Lacks dependency tracking.

fortress - alpha but nearing release quality and status. Could be dubbed
ecm 2, and is mostly backwards compatible. Embedded, offers lifecycle
extension support and other neat stuff. Not as solid a meta model as
phoenix or merlin (yet)

merlin - merlin2 predecessor stuff no-one but Stephen's clients use IIUC

merlin2 (assembly package in excalibur cvs) - alpha. originally based on
phoenix, providing additional smart dynamic features and an alternative
meta model, embeddable & standalone, though lacks phoenix's management
capability and some other features.

tweety - beta. education only. No features.

myrmidon - alpha. over at ant. Don't think there's a lot going on here
atm

plexus - alpha. over at zenplex.org. Might be core of turbine 4.
Basically crossover between tweety and fortress atm. Simple but usuable.

eob - alpha? can't say much, really. over at sourceforge.

phoenix, ecm, fortress and plexus provide full support for avalon
framework, minus the Re* interfaces (which aren't supported anywhere).

Phoenix provides support for the phoenix metamodel. Fortress has limited
metamodel support IIUC. Merlin has a metamodel similar to the phoenix
metamodel, but currently the two are incompatible. ECM has no formal
meta model to speak of.

Phoenix knows what to do with .sars (Server application archives) and
.bars (block application archives), as does merlin. The other containers
have no such concept.

There are more extensive writeups in the -dev and -user archives.

atm, I recommend people develop using either phoenix or ECM. Future
alternatives like fortress and merlin2 will probably offer a high level
of support for apps developed using the more 'established' containers.

cheers,

Leo

Re: Avalon Containers

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Peter M. Goldstein wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Can anyone point me to a quick discussion of the assorted Avalon
>containers?  I'd like to see something that has the status, the
>development goal(s), and a short list of supported features for each
>container.  Does such a doc exist?  If not, could someone write up a
>quick summary?  Either a reference or a reply would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks.

Peter:

There is a summary of the difference between the different contains on
the Merlin FAQ.

  http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/merlin/faq.html

In terms of Merlin future direction - immediate work is focussing on
service distribution (connecting a somponents in one container with
services resident in another container executing in a different system).
 Beyond that there will be additions to enable
ComponentManager/ServiceManager lookup policy customization which will
enable Merlin to complete handle the semantics implied by the
ECM/Fortress lookup model.  Beyond that - there is strong interest in
the delivery of a component packaging model - something more fin grained
by the Phoenix SAR file - more like container configuration packaged to
go so that we can start using relatively complex component/service
assemblies as reusable service modules.

Cheers, Steve.

>--Peter
>

>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Avalon Containers

Re: .Net port

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:15, Nantz, Brian wrote:
> I am creating a .Net port of the Logkit.  I was wondering if I could link
> to (and possible reproduce) some of your documentation.

As long as you follow the license then thats fine. See the license for
details. It would be great if we could cross link our website to your .Net
port aswell!

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
specific."
-- Jane Wagner