Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/18 20:27:06 UTC

Is the vagrant tree still useful?

As the subject says - there have been no updates recently, so is it
still useful?

Re: Is the vagrant tree still useful?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Now that I have some experience with a Node.js rewrite, and after
watching the svn library routines you have been developing, I think
there can be a role for a future Vagrant definition.

First: a problem statement.  Getting the entire whimsy codebase up and
running is too hard.  Even with things like setupmymac, it turns out
people have intentionally or unintentionally customized their machines
or chosen to stay on back levels of operating systems or whatever.  In
theory, docker could address this, but for whatever reason that hasn't
taken off with our development community.

What if getting a running image was as simple as "vagrant up"?

I believe that we are close to being able to realize that. The problem
in the past was dealing with things like authentication and access to
numerous and often large svn working copies.
You have made considerable progress towards addressing this by
reducing the need for full svn working copies and by moving many svn
access to library functions, often with access to credentials.

Before proceeding, let me back up.  The board agenda tool has a test
suite and that test suite makes use of an environment variable named
RACK_ENV.  That environment variable typically has values like
'development', 'test', and 'production'.  When ENV['RACK_ENV'] ==
'test', subversion sources are set to test data.

Node.js applications have a similar environment variable, namely
NODE_ENV.  When run under development, the svn sources are redirected
to work directories, and those directories are owned by the webserver
process (which is typically run under the developer's user id) and svn
updates are done as a part of the get request and using the user's
credentials.  It even goes a step further, when it is time to do a
commit when running in development mode, it will create a local
repository, populate it, and then replace the working copy with a
checkout from the local repository.  That way, it is possible to
develop and locally test functions that update svn.  In the future,
similar things would be possible for mail.

With that in mind, imagine a future where all svn accesses were done
through library routines, and those routines had access to the user's
credentials as well as the RACK_ENV environment variable.  One could
get a full whimsy server up and running in a few minutes using
'vagrant up'.  That virtual machine would be a full installation where
we would be able to control the version of Ubuntu, what packages were
installed, etc.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.