Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/23 22:31:57 UTC

drop canned deflate config?

Is there any sense in maintaining the netscape 4 workarounds in the
sample deflate config in 2.4 and later?

They end up setting a Vary on User-Agent which is terrible on caches.
I recently assisted a user who skipped the Vary and they ended up
corrupting caches instead.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_deflate.html

    # Netscape 4.x has some problems...
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4         gzip-only-text/html

    # Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

    # MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
    BrowserMatch \bMSIE             !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
    # Don't compress images
    SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

    # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
    Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

In 2.2, I would add a warning about caches, but leave the canned example.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: drop canned deflate config?