Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Christian Rodriguez <cr...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/07 22:20:21 UTC

When are deletions permanent?

Hi everyone,

I need to "update a document" in Lucene. I already know that for that
I need to do a delete (IndexReader) and then an add (IndexWriter). I
also know that the deletion means been marked as deleted, until
optimize().

My question is, when am I SURE that the mark is "commited" to disk? I
mean, suppose that there is a crash while Im doing a deletion. Could
it be that when I recover and check Lucene, the item is still there?
At which point Im 100% sure the deletion is permanent?

What about adds?

Thanks,
Christian