Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Bren Letson <br...@vrnashville.com> on 2010/08/27 20:37:35 UTC

Suggestion from Newbie

 I scanned subject lines in the list archives back six months and didn't
see anything that indicated this idea has been proposed before. However,
it seems unlikely that I'm the first to have these thoughts:

   1. When looping through rules, stop the loop on the last rule or,
      optionally, when score_so_far >= required_score. This would
      improve performance, I suspect.
   2. Order rules so that statistically more likely rules with higher
      scores appear first. This in combination with suggestion #1 could
      also improve performance. Of course, it implies that part of
      "learning" is ranking how often specific rules get triggered. This
      ranking might be a function of the DNSBLs of the world.

If there was some way to search the list for this idea, I didn't see it.
If these ideas have already been discussed, please forgive this newbie.

Bren Letson
The Letson Agency, Nashville's VR Business Brokers Office
(615) 292-0636 (phone)
(615) 292-0236 (fax)
(615) 585-5399 (cell)

_My Website <www.vrnashville.com>_ | _My LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/brenletson>

_Note: The SMIME attachment to this email is a digital certificate of identity issued to me by Verisign and is used to electronically sign my email. There is no need for you to open it as your mail client (e.g. Outlook) will look at it and let you know if it is not genuine or if the message has been changed since I sent it. If you receive an email from bren@vrnashville.com and it is not signed with my certificate, then someone else is using my email address to SPAM you and the email can be safely ignored. For more information, read the Verisign digital ID guide <http://www.verisign.com/static/005326.pdf>._
_

Re: Suggestion from Newbie

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

>> It has been discussed. It's a non-trivial problem. If you search on
>> "shortcut" (on the users list, too) you'll be able to find a lot of the
>> history.
>
> I think if you search for "shortcircuit" or "short circuit" you may turn
> up more info, too.

Blargh. That's what I meant to say.

   After ten years (1998-2008) of draconian gun control in the State
   of Massachusetts, the results are in: firearms-related assaults up
   78%, firearms-related homicides up 67%, assault-related emergency
   room visits up 331%. Gun Control does not reduce violent crime.
  15 days until the 223rd anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution

Re: Suggestion from Newbie

Posted by Bren Letson <br...@vrnashville.com>.
Thanks for the pointer. Newbies have to learn the language. Now I know
about "shortcuts" and "shortcircuits" and "short circuits".

Life is good.

Regards,

Bren

Re: Suggestion from Newbie

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Re: Suggestion from Newbie

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Bren Letson wrote:

> I scanned subject lines in the list archives back six months and didn't
> see anything that indicated this idea has been proposed before. However,
> it seems unlikely that I'm the first to have these thoughts:

You're not. The term we use is "shortcut"

>   1. When looping through rules, stop the loop on the last rule or,
>      optionally, when score_so_far >= required_score. This would
>      improve performance, I suspect.

What happens if later rules would reduce the score back below the
threshold?

>   2. Order rules so that statistically more likely rules with higher
>      scores appear first. This in combination with suggestion #1 could
>      also improve performance. Of course, it implies that part of
>      "learning" is ranking how often specific rules get triggered. This
>      ranking might be a function of the DNSBLs of the world.
>
> If there was some way to search the list for this idea, I didn't see it.
> If these ideas have already been discussed, please forgive this newbie.

It has been discussed. It's a non-trivial problem. If you search on
"shortcut" (on the users list, too) you'll be able to find a lot of the
history.

   The first time I saw a bagpipe, I thought the player was torturing
   an octopus. I was amazed they could scream so loudly.
                                         -- cat_herder_5263 on Y! SCOX
  Tomorrow: Exercise Your Rights day