Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2002/07/31 13:38:16 UTC

[UPDATE] Experimental libtool replacement

I've succeeded in getting my libtool variant (C-based) to compile,
link, and install httpd-2.0/apr/apr-util on Darwin.

You may find code, patches, timings, and a brief readme at:
  http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/jlibtool/

Since there wasn't a (public) response last time to my post, I'll
keep these patches outside of the tree.  But, since it is an
opt-in, I wouldn't foresee any problems if we were to accept these
patches as it doesn't break GNU libtool usage.

I'm now going to be moving on to making this work with Subversion.

Anyway, a *full* build of httpd-2.0 in half the time than it takes
to build APR with GNU libtool.  I'm happy.  -- justin

Re: [UPDATE] Experimental libtool replacement

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Justin Erenkrantz (jerenkrantz@apache.org) wrote :
> I've succeeded in getting my libtool variant (C-based) to compile,
> link, and install httpd-2.0/apr/apr-util on Darwin.
>
> You may find code, patches, timings, and a brief readme at:
>   http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/jlibtool/
>
> Since there wasn't a (public) response last time to my post, I'll
> keep these patches outside of the tree.  But, since it is an
> opt-in, I wouldn't foresee any problems if we were to accept these
> patches as it doesn't break GNU libtool usage.
>
> I'm now going to be moving on to making this work with Subversion.
>
> Anyway, a *full* build of httpd-2.0 in half the time than it takes
> to build APR with GNU libtool.  I'm happy.  -- justin

Timings for linux:
GNU Libtool:  make all  64.75s user 18.18s system 75% cpu 1:49.92 total
Justin's Libtool:  make all  40.09s user 4.77s system 74% cpu 1:00.38 total

I think the upstream might be more responsive, too...
-Thom
--
Thom May -> thom@planetarytramp.net

<aj> *sigh* you'd think a distribution composed of 6000
packages distributed across 13 different architectures (in various stages
between pre-alpha and release quality), maintained by 700 amateurs with often
conflicting goals who're globally distributed and have rarely met each other
-- you'd think a distribution like that would be simpler...

Re: [UPDATE] Experimental libtool replacement

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:38:16AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I've succeeded in getting my libtool variant (C-based) to compile,
> link, and install httpd-2.0/apr/apr-util on Darwin.
>
> You may find code, patches, timings, and a brief readme at:
>   http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/jlibtool/
>
> Since there wasn't a (public) response last time to my post, I'll
> keep these patches outside of the tree.  But, since it is an
> opt-in, I wouldn't foresee any problems if we were to accept these
> patches as it doesn't break GNU libtool usage.

just so you know people are interested, i'd be quite pleased to see
this in the tree, since i know i'd like to be able to build on os x in
half the time ;-)

> I'm now going to be moving on to making this work with Subversion.

cool!

thanks for working on this.  libtool needs to die if at all possible,
and i'm glad to see someone taking this on.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes